Carnaross Gaelic Football Club County Meath Ireland

2017 Junior D Championship

Ballinabrackey 3 3 0 0 70 20 50 6
Carnaross 4 3 0 1 52 44 8 6
Wolfe Tones 4 2 0 2 28 40 -12 4
Longwood 3 2 0 1 25 27 -2 4
Ballinlough 3 1 0 2 27 42 -15 2
Kilmainhamwood 5 0 0 5 8 37 -29 0

Carnaross 1-19 Ballinlough 2-14

Junior D Championship (Round 1)

Played in Moylagh – 22/5/2017

Neighbours Carnaross and Ballinlough served up a thrilling encounter in Round 1 of the Junior D Championship with end to end action throughout. The result could have gone either way but a late surge from Carnaross resulted in a two point victory over last year’s beaten finalists.

The opening ten minutes set the tone for the game with the sides level on 1-2 apiece. Carnaross took an early lead with points from Patrick Smith and Ollie Murphy but the advantage quickly swung in favour of the Ballinlough men when they hit a quickfire 1-2 in the space of three minutes. Paddy Dillon restored parity when he found the net following good build up play from the two Ollie’s, Murphy and Farrelly. Carnaross added two more points from Ollie Murphy and Decky Reilly, who recently returned home following a failed ice hockey career in Canada. Ballinlough hit back with a converted free but Carnaross went on to dominate the remainder of the opening half and points from Ollie Murphy (1), Decky Reilly (2), Ollie Farrelly (2) gave them a 1-9 to 1-5 advantage at half-time.

Decky Reilly opened the scoring after the restart to open the gap to five points, but Ballinlough wiped out that lead hitting 1-2 in the space of two minutes to leave the sides all square. Carnaross edged in front with a point each from Pierce Fleming and Decky Reilly but once again Ballinlough hit back to level with twenty minutes remaining. The game was now at fever pitch with both sides exchanging two points each with Patrick Smith and Ollie Murphy pointing for Carnaross. With the game entering the closing stages it swung in favour of Ballinlough who opened up a two point advantage with three minutes of normal time remaining. However, Carnaross battled on and levelled matters with points from attacking wing back Patrick Smith and the lively Decky Reilly and a draw looked to be on the cards. However, substitute John L McGee who was making his Junior D debut had the final say as he landed two points in added time to give his side the victory.

It was a good start to the campaign for a Carnaross who got all bar three of their scores from play. There was a good blend of youth and experience, with Jack Roche making his debut for the club at adult level.

Carnaross: Eamonn Comaskey; Jack Roche, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Patrick Smith (0-3), Brian Comaskey, Aidan Lynch; Pierce Fleming (0-1), Peter Mullan; Blaine Lynch, Decky Reilly (0-7, 1f), Paddy Dillon (1-0); Alan O’Reilly, Ollie Murphy (0-4, 1f), Ollie Farrelly (0-2); Subs: Stephen Dawson for Blaine Lynch; John L McGee (0-2, 1f) for Alan O’Reilly;

Carnaross 1-9 Longwood 1-13

Junior D Championship (Round 2)

Played in Kildalkey – 23/6/2017

A poor first half display which left Carnaross trailing by eight points at half-time proved too much of a margin to turn around.

Following an impressive first round victory over Ballinlough, the Carnaross line-up consisted of seven changes from that encounter and it took a long time for them to shake off the cobwebs. Longwood opened the scoring with a goal in the third minute and went on to extend their lead to 1-3 to no score after a low scoring twenty minutes. Carnaross struggled to make any impact up front but their first score finally arrived in the twenty-third minute courtesy of Paul Donoghue. Ciaran McDonnell, on a flying visit from Australia, answered the club’s call and he got on the scoresheet with a point and also forced a good stop from the Longwood keeper. Further points from Longwood gave them a commanding eight point lead at the break, 1-7 to 0-2.

Both sides exchanged early points after the restart with Ollie Farrelly hitting the target for Carnaross. Longwood then had a player dismissed after five minutes and this gave Carnaross the opportunity to get back into contention. Two unanswered points from Ciaran McDonnell and Stephen Dawson chipped into the Longwood lead. McDonnell added two more points but crucially Longwood replied with two of their own to keep distance between the sides. Stephen Dawson and Brian Comaskey scored a point apiece but once again Longwood hit back with three more late points. The final score of the game was a Carnaross goal from Ciaran McDonnell, capping off a fine performance in his first game for the club in six years.

Carnaross: Damian McArdle; Alan O’Reilly, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Colin Yore, Brian Comaskey (0-1), Patrick Smith; Pierce Fleming, Eamonn Comaskey; Colm Carpenter, Paul Donoghue (0-1), Enda Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (1-4), Ollie Farrelly (0-1), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Jack Roche for Tadgh Skelly; Stephen Dawson (0-2) for Enda Gillic; Blaine Lynch for Alan O’Reilly; Benny Murphy for Colin Yore;

Carnaross 3-9 Wolfe Tones 0-8

Junior D Championship (Round 3)

Played in Kilmainham – 23/7/2017

Carnaross got their Junior D campaign back on track when they emerged ten point winners after a good team performance in fine conditions in Kilmainham. After a scoreless opening 10 minutes Carnaross hit the ground running with Killian Porter hitting 1-1. Wolfe Tones struck back with a point before points from Brian Comaskey and Stephen Dawson extended Carnaross’s lead to five.

Carnaross went on to dominate the remainder of the half and a long ball in to Ollie Murphy saw him pulled to the ground for a penalty. He duly stepped up and bamboozled the keeper with a textbook finish from the spot. 2 more points followed from Porter after some champagne football from Murphy, Comaskey and Peter Mullan. The Tones replied with 2 points to close the half leaving Carnaross 8 points up, 2-05 to 0-03.

An Ollie Murphy point opened the scoring in the second half before Wolfe Tones replied with a point of their own. Carnaross opened up an eleven point lead with fine scores from Ollie Farrelly and Porter before Blaine Lynch bobbed around his man and lofted a high ball over the bar.

Wolfe Tones hit a purple patch and reeled off four points in a row to reduce the deficit to six. This period included a melee in the Carnaross goalmouth as Jack “the Bull” Yore marked his Junior D return. However Carnaross had the last say as a high ball in to Ollie “Bomber” Farrelly was fisted to the net to seal a ten point win. Carnaross remain in contention for a semi final appearance after good performances all over the field.

Carnaross: Jack Yore; John Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Stephen Dawson (0-1), Eamonn Comaskey, Alan O’Reilly; Pierce Fleming, Peter Mullan; Ollie Farrelly (1-1), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Killian Porter (1-4); Blaine Lynch (0-1), Ollie Murphy (1-1), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Damian McArdle for Skelly; Jack Roche for Porter;


Search Site

twitter feed