Carnaross Gaelic Football Club County Meath Ireland

2018 A League - Division 3


Home team listed first

Round 4: St Vincents v Carnaross

Round 5: Carnaross v Drumbaragh

Round 6: Clann na nGael v Carnaross

Round 7: Carnaross v Longwood

Round 8: Cortown v Carnaross

Round 9: Bective v Carnaross

Round 10: Carnaross v St. Ultans

Round 11: Meath Hill v Carnaross

Carnaross 4-7 Ballinlough 0-8

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 27/1/2018

Carnaross recorded a resounding victory over neighbours Ballinlough in their opening league encounter of 2018. They had to endure a tough 10 minute period after the interval but they stood firm to run out convincing victors in the end. The last time these two North Meath clubs met in first team action was in 2014 when Ballinlough ran out convincing winners in the Corn Na Bóinne quarter final by 14 points.

When Carnaross began their league campaign in 2017 against Clann na nGael at home, the Rathcairn/Athboy men swept up the field to register a goal with their first possession. Fast forward a year and Carnaross achieved this feat through an industrious run and a calm finish from wing back Sam Reynolds. Ballinlough responded with 3 points of their own to leave the game level with 9 minutes played. With heavy underfoot conditions, Carnaross began to move the ball more effectively using short direct kick passes supplemented by thankless support runners from deep. Frank O’Reilly began to greatly trouble the Lough rear-guard who were forced to foul him. He duly converted 3 first half frees from acute angles to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Corner back Peter Carpenter ventured forward and was rewarded when his measured attempt split the posts. At half time Carnaross led 1-04 to 0-05. Both teams were guilty of basic errors that are interwoven into the very fabric of January football when the ground, the conditions and indeed some of the players, were quite heavy.

Carnaross began the second half with renewed optimism knowing that they had stood up to Ballinlough’s physicality in the opening period. They began to move the ball with more purpose and urgency into their forwards. Following good work around the middle of the field by Charles Brogan, Mc Donnell and Flattery, Frank O’Reilly won clean possession, turned his man and laid it off to debutant Paddy Mc Dermott, who confidently finished the ball to the roof of the net. It was a fine team move where the ball never hit the ground once despite 5 players being involved. Ballinlough stepped up their intensity and were rewarded when they reduced the gap to 3 points by converting 2 frees and one from play. Ian Donoghue received a straight red card which further incentivised Ballinlough’s charge. They switched to a 2 man full forward line of Tommy and Mark Mc Cullen and proceeded to rain ball in on top of the Hoops. It proved to be a fruitless endeavour however, as the full back line held firm and frustrated their North Meath counterparts. The Lough’s frustration reached boiling point as they were also reduced to 14 men with 10 minutes remaining.

After weathering the Ballinlough onslaught, Carnaross began to hit them on the counter attack which proved to be decisive. Captain Charles Brogan capped a powerful display with a goal after a lightning quick break out of defence after turning possession over. Frank O Reilly nonchalantly converted a penalty after Stephen Flattery was unceremoniously upended after rounding the keeper and the game was over as a contest with Carnaross running out 11 point winners.

Carnaross utilised their chances despite being starved of possession for large periods of this keenly contested encounter. Ballinlough brought a great physicality to their return to division 3 football which a young Carnaross side never once shied away from and frankly, seemed to relish. Ballinlough will rue key misses from placed balls during a decisive period but ultimately Carnaross ran out deserving winners in the end.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny, Peter Carpenter (0-1), Tómás Plunkett, Peter S Farrelly, Sam Reynolds (1-0), Liam Brogan, Ian Donoghue, Charles Brogan, Michael Brogan, Killian Porter, Stephen Flattery (0-1), Niall Mc Donnell, Cormac O Reilly, Frank O’Reilly(1-5, 1-0 pen, 0-5fs), Paddy Mc Dermott (1-0). Subs: Cillian Comaskey for Michael Brogan, Jack Roche for Comaskey(inj), Pierce Fleming for Cormac O’ Reilly(inj);

Carnaross 1-8 Dunsany 1-11

A League (Division 3)

Played in Dunsany – 4/2/2018

Carnaross made the journey to Dunsany on a cold Sunday morning for round 2 of the A league. The two teams have become very familiar with each other in recent years having played several times in both league and championship. The previous games had all been closely contested battles with very little to separate the sides and Sunday’s game was no exception.

Dunsany started the strongest and raced into an early 4 points to 1 lead. Carnaross found it difficult to get a foothold in the game as they struggled with the conditions and spurned several scoring chances, their sole point coming courtesy of a Frank O’Reilly free. Dunsany received a black card midway through the first half after an off the ball collision. The sides then exchanged points before Carnaross were struck down with two injuries in the space of a few minutes. Jack Roche came on for centre back Liam Brogan who was forced off after sustaining a shoulder injury. Liam Day was then stretchered off shortly afterwards after suffering a leg injury, Shane Casserly was brought on in his place.

The referee had stopped play after Day’s injury and Carnaross earned a penalty from the resultant throw up. John L McGee gathered possession out by the side line and headed towards goal. After a quick one-two, McGee was bearing down on goal before being brought down by the Dunsany keeper. The referee awarded a penalty to Carnaross which Frank O’Reilly stepped up to take. O’Reilly made no mistake and calmly converted sending the keeper the wrong way. Dunsany then went on to score two more points before the break with O’Reilly adding another to his tally leaving Dunsany with a n 0-08 to 1-03 lead at half time.

Dunsany came out all guns blazing at the beginning of the second half and scored a point and goal in succession. The goal came from an overlap which led to a one on one with keeper Shane McNiffe. Carnaross kept their composure after this setback and hit a purple patch, outscoring Dunsany by 5 points to 1. Two points from O’Reilly and one each from Casserly, Killian Porter and Tomás Plunkett, after a marauding run from the full back, ensured that the game the game was still very much in the balance with the gap reduced to two points.

The game became very scrappy in the closing minutes with several stoppages in play which disrupted the flow of the game. Dunsany added on another point to take the lead out to three points which is how it finished with a victory for Dunsany on a final score of: Dunsany 1-11 Carnaross 1-08.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Peter Carpenter, Tomás Plunkett (0-1), Peter Farrelly, Sam Reynolds, Liam Brogan, Stephen Flattery, Michael Brogan, Charles Brogan, Killian Porter (0-1), John L McGee, Niall McDonnell, Liam Day, Frank O’Reilly (1-5, 0-2f, 1-0p), Patrick McDermott Subs: Jack Roche for Liam Brogan, Shane Casserly (0-1) for Liam Day, Pierce Fleming for Michael Brogan, Cian Yore for Stephen Flattery,

Carnaross 1-7 Kilmainham 0-12

A League (Division 3)

Played in Kilmainham – 11/2/2018

Kilmainham took the spoils in this evenly contested local derby played in blizzard conditions on Sunday. Kilmainham held home advantage after the fixture was changed from Carnaross on Sunday morning.

Indeed the men in red and black began the brighter, registering the first score of the game. In response, Frank O’ Reilly converted a free from the ground from a near impossible angle and rightfully received a rapturous applause from all supporters present. John L McGee doubled the Carnaross tally after Carnaross spurned a few guilt edge scoring opportunities. These spurned opportunities were punished by a more prolific Kilmainham attack when they utilised potent forward Mickey Newman to good effect, scoring 4 out of the next 5 scores. Charles Brogan collected a mishit kickout and ran straight at the Kilmainham defence and after a series of hand passes Niall McDonnell powered the ball into the back of the net. Kilmainham had the last say on proceedings when they registered the final point of the first half hour. The opening half was a keenly contested encounter played at a high tempo for February. Both teams attacked at pace and defended tigerishly with Carnaross edging it 1-04 to 0-06 at half time.

Kilmainham raced into a lead 5 minutes in, when they converted 3 scoring chances in the first 10 minutes. The second half then deteriorated into a war of attrition as the snowstorm dictated proceedings, ensuring scores were at a premium but mistakes were plentiful. Frank O’Reilly intercepted a pass and punished Kilmainham’s sloppiness stemming their tide. O’Reilly then restored parity to the scoreboard converting a long range free. Both teams struggled for any form of fluency with the game in the melting pot. It was Kilmainham who dominated possession in the closing stages and converted 2 of their opportunities whereas Carnaross struggled to work the ball out of their own half with the snow pelting down. Carnaross committed men forward with time running out and John Brogan halved the deficit with a well taken score. Unfortunately Kilmainham tagged on the final score leaving the maroon and saffron men looking for a goal that never materialised.

Carnaross left the pitch disappointed to have nothing to show for their tremendous effort in horrendous conditions. Kilmainham ultimately offered more of a scoring threat, none more so than their talismatic leader Mickey Newman, who was imperious throughout. Carnaross will take some positives from this battle as their full back line fought valiantly throughout, with Roche epitomising this feat, despite it being his first competitive start for the first team. Frank O’Reilly kicked some outlandish frees and was a constant menace throughout but ended up on the losing side. Carnaross will look to rebuild with a round 4 fixture against St. Vincent’s.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny, Jack Roche, Peter S Farrelly, Peter Carpenter, Ian Donoghue, Tomas Plunkett, Stephen Flattery, Sam Reynolds, Charles Brogan, Niall McDonnell (1-0), Frank O’Reilly (0-5), Killian Porter, Decky Reilly, John L McGee (0-1), Michael Brogan. Subs: John Brogan (0-1) for Flattery (BC), Paddy McDermott for Porter, Dillon Fox for Reilly, Shane Casserly for Charles Brogan, Dermot McGee for John L McGee.



Search Site

Fixture List

Sunday 25th February
In Ardcath @ 3:00
A League - Round 4
Carnaross v St Vincents

twitter feed