Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2015 Junior Championship

Team played won drawn lost FOR AGAINST difference points
Simonstown 5 4 0 1 76 61 15 8
Carnaross 5 4 0 1 68 52 16 8
St Peter’s, Dunboyne 5 3 0 2 67 77 -10 6
Drumconrath 5 2 0 3 61 51 10 4
Dunshaughlin 5 1 0 4 49 78 -29 2
Clonard 5 1 0 4 51 53 -2 2

Carnaross 0-13 Simonstown 1-11

Junior A Championship (Round 1)

Played in Trim – 12/4/2015

Carnaross lost their first game back in the Junior grade since 1991 by the minimum margin following a tough battle with Simonstown in Trim.

John L McGee opened the scoring with a point from play in the second minute to give Carnaross the early advantage. However, Simonstown hit back strongly and outscored Carnaross by 0-4 to 0-1 in the next ten minutes with John L McGee hitting the target for Carnaross. Cian O’Reilly narrowed the margin once more but Simonstown continued their early dominance with three more unanswered points to lead by 0-7 to 0-3 ten minutes before half-time. Carnaross finally settled into the game and points from John L McGee (3) and Tomás Plunkett left the sides level at the break with 0-7 each.

After the restart, Carnaross continued where they left off and kicked two early points from John L McGee and Patrick Nugent. When John L McGee kicked his sides seventh point in a row it gave Carnaross a three point advantage with twenty minutes remaining. The game had now become a tight affair and Simonstown reduced the margin to a single point with two converted frees. Simonstown then took advantage of a wayward pass in the Carnaross defence by firing to the net for the game’s only goal to take a two point lead with five minutes remaining. Carnaross hit back immediately with a point apiece from Dermot McGee and Patrick Nugent in the space of a minute to level matters. However, Simonstown replied once more and hit two more points and with the game in stoppage time, Carnaross could only manage one more point from John L McGee to come up one short at the final whistle.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Cian Gillic, Thomas Nugent, Stephen Dawson; Tomás Plunkett (0-1), Ian Donoghue, Stephen Flattery; Charles Brogan, Eamonn Comaskey; Peter Carpenter, Cian O’Reilly (0-1), Frank O’Reilly; John L McGee (0-8), Patrick Nugent (0-2), Dermot McGee (0-1); Subs: Peter Mullan for Eamonn Comaskey;

Carnaross 1-11 Clonard 0-11

Junior A Championship (Round 2)

Played in Athboy – 19/4/2015

Carnaross got their first win of the campaign but had to withstand a spirited Clonard fightback in the second-half.

There was a very lively start to the game resulting in the sides exchanging two points each in the opening five minutes with John L McGee getting both of the Carnaross scores. Carnaross began to dominate proceedings and four points without reply from John L McGee (2), Tomás Plunkett and Patrick Nugent put them well in control despite two crucial blocks at the opposite end from Stephen Dawson and Stephen Flattery. However, confusion ensued in the eighteenth minute when the referee mysteriously instructed the scoreboard operator to dock Carnaross a point. Clonard hit back with a point but a rattled Carnaross quickly regained their composure and added two more points through John L McGee. Carnaross then got the games opening goal when McGee was again on hand to pounce on a loose ball in the square to finish to the net. It got worse for Clonard when they had a player dismissed in added time, but they still managed to get two more points before the half-time whistle brought an action packed half to an end, leaving Carnaross 1-7 (or 1-8?) to 0-5 in front.

During the half time interval, the referee made consultations about the “phantom point” and when he realised he had been wrong to cancel it the scoreboard was rectified before the second-half got underway. When play resumed it was Clonard who started better and had the margin down to three points after the first ten minutes with three points in a row. Carnaross opened their account with a well taken point from Charles Brogan at the midway stage but they were then dealt a blow when Dermot McGee received his marching orders to level up the numbers once again. This boosted Clonard and they increased the pressure by adding two more points, but were also guilty of missing a number of frees which would surely have given them the lead. As the game came to a conclusion the sides exchanged a point each with Patrick Nugent hitting the target for Carnaross. John L McGee added another point from a free deep in injury time before the final whistle brought proceedings to an end.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Cian Gillic, Thomas Nugent, Stephen Dawson; Eamonn Comaskey, Ian Donoghue, Stephen Flattery; Charles Brogan (0-1), Tomás Plunkett (0-1); Peter Carpenter, Cian O’Reilly, Frank O’Reilly; John L McGee (1-7), Patrick Nugent (0-2), Dermot McGee; Subs: Peter S Farrelly for Eamonn Comaskey; Shane Casserly for Frank O’Reilly;

Carnaross 1-8 Drumconrath 0-8

Junior A Championship (Round 3)

Played in Kilmainhamwood – 22/5/2015

A strong second-half display resulted in Carnaross picking up a crucial second win of the campaign against Drumconrath.

Following the sides League clash a week earlier which was won by Carnaross, Drumconrath started the game intent on laying down a marker. They had four early chances in the opening five minutes but all were missed including three wides and an open goal attempt which came back of the crossbar. The game’s first score came from Carnaross when John L McGee split the posts but Drumconrath continued their early pressure and went on to hit the next four scores without reply as Carnaross struggled to generate a chance at the opposite end. When they did make the breakthrough five minutes before half-time the score came from an unlikely source after corner-back Stephen Dawson finished a fine move with a point from play. Drumconrath added a free on the stroke of half-time to take well deserved 0-5 to 0-2 half-time lead.

Following a poor display in the opening period, it was a different Carnaross team which emerged after the restart. Charles Brogan landed a point in the opening minute before the hard working Shane Casserly fisted over moments later. When John L McGee pointed seven minutes in it left the sides all level at 0-5 each. However, Carnaross were very fortunate not to be three behind once again when Drumconrath struck a penalty wide of Ollie Murphy’s post following a bad mistake in the Carnaross defence after ten minutes. Drumconrath edged in front once more but the game swung in favour of Carnaross when Charles Brogan got the game’s only goal when he fired to the top corner to give his side a two point lead. Carnaross doubled their advantage with two points in as many minutes from Patrick Nugent and Pierce Fleming. Carnaross defended well in the closing stages restricting Drumconrath to just two converted frees while John L McGee replied at the other end to seal a three point victory for Carnaross who registered all of their scores from play.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Tomás Plunkett, Eamonn Comaskey, Stephen Dawson (0-1); Peter S. Farrelly, Ian Donoghue, Peter Carpenter; Charles Brogan (1-1), Thomas Nugent; Cillian Comaskey, Cian O’Reilly, Patrick Nugent (0-1); Pierce Fleming (0-1), John L McGee (0-3), Shane Casserly (0-1);

Carnaross 0-13 Dunshaughlin 0-9

Junior A Championship (Round 4)

Played in Kilmainham – 9/8/2015

Carnaross advanced to the knockout stages of the Junior Championship following a hard earned victory against Dunshaughlin.

There was an action packed start to the game with the sides level on two points apiece after just four minutes with Dermot McGee accounting for both of the Carnaross scores. Niall McDonnell edged Carnaross in front in the tenth minute but they had Thomas Nugent to thank after he bravely blocked a Dunshaughlin goal attempt despite picking up an injury moments earlier. McDonnell doubled the Carnaross advantage before a converted free from Dermot McGee left them three in front midway through the half. Niall McDonnell put Carnaross four up with ten minutes remaining but Dunshaughlin hit back with the next two point. Another point late in injury time from Niall McDonnell gave Carnaross a 0-7 to 0-4 half-time lead.

Both sides exchanged two points each early after the restart with Charles Brogan and Niall McDonnell registering for Carnaross. Dunshaughlin increased the pressure on Carnaross when two points in a row left just a single point between the sides with fifteen minutes remaining. However, Carnaross answered the question that were asked of them and went on to score the next three points from Cillian Comaskey and Dermot McGee (2) to open up a four point lead. Dunshaughlin narrowed the margin to three but Niall McDonnell landed his sixth point from play deep in added time to complete the scoring.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Peter Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Gillic; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, Liam Brogan; Tomás Plunkett, Dermot McGee (0-5); Patrick Nugent, Charles Brogan (0-1), Cillian Comaskey (0-1); Shane Casserly, Niall McDonnell (0-6), Cian O’Reilly; Sub: Stephen Flattery for Thomas Nugent;

Carnaross 2-11 St. Peters Dunboyne 1-7

Junior A Championship (Round 5)

Played in Athboy – 23/8/2015

Carnaross secured second spot in Group A with a seven point victory over St. Peters Dunboyne at a rain-soaked Athboy.

Both sides were qualified going into this game and after heavy rain all morning the prospects of an exciting game were looking bleak. The first-half proved to be a tight affair from the start as both sides struggled with the slippery conditions. Carnaross enjoyed plenty of possession early on but when the first score arrived it went to the Dunboyne men after ten minutes and they doubled their advantage with a free five minutes later. Carnaross finally opened their account when Dermot McGee converted a free and they found themselves in front when Frank O’Reilly and Niall McDonnell both pointed within a minute. St. Peters finished the half stronger and two late points restored their one point advantage to lead 0-4 to 0-3 at half-time.

Patrick Nugent levelled matters with a point straight from the restart but Carnaross soon found themselves four points adrift when St. Peters registered a quickfire 1-1 in the space of a few seconds. However, the Carnaross response to this setback was very impressive as they quickly got back in front with five points in a row from Charles Brogan, Niall McDonnell (2), Frank O’Reilly and a sweetly struck ’45 from Dermot McGee. They were now in total control of proceedings and when Frank O’Reilly calmly found the net after rounding the keeper it gave Carnaross a four point advantage with fifteen minutes remaining. St. Peters landed another point but once again Carnaross responded well with Frank O’Reilly getting in for his second goal to put the result beyond doubt. St. Peters added another point but two well taken points from Niall McDonnell rounded off an impressive second-half team performance for Carnaross.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Peter Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Gillic; Peter S. Farrelly, Ian Donoghue, Liam Brogan; Tomás Plunkett, Dermot McGee (0-2); Patrick Nugent (0-1), Charles Brogan (0-1), Cillian Comaskey; Shane Casserly, Niall McDonnell (0-5), Frank O’Reilly (2-2); Subs: Brian Comaskey for Dermot McGee; Stephen Flattery for Peter S. Farrelly;

Carnaross 2-11 Summerhill 0-9

Junior A Championship (Quarter-Final)

Played in Athboy – 5/9/2015

An impressive second-half display put Carnaross into the last four of the Junior Championship with eight points to spare over Summerhill in a sunny Athboy.

Summerhill had a glorious chance to grab an early goal in the opening moments but Carnaross keeper Ollie Murphy reacted well to keep them out. Carnaross opened the scoring in the second minute when Dermot McGee pointed from play. Summerhill levelled with a ’45 but McGee edged his side in front once more with a free. Shane Casserly then had a goal chance but was denied by the Summerhill keeper who produced a fine save. Dermot McGee converted the resulting ’45 to give Carnaross a two point advantage. Both sides exchanged a point each with Niall McDonnell opening his account for Carnaross midway through the half. Summerhill then went on to enjoy a period of dominance and registered three points without reply to take a one point lead. They could have been further in front but Ollie Murphy produced another good save from a one on one situation. A late point from Dermot McGee left the sides level on 0-5 each after a tight and evenly matched first-half.

Carnaross hit the ground running after the restart and Dermot McGee pointed in the opening minute. He turned provider a minute later when his high ball into the square was met perfectly by Cillian Comaskey who outjumped everyone to fist the game’s opening goal. Niall McDonnell added another point from play and suddenly Carnaross had opened up a five point advantage after just three minutes of the second-half. Summerhill converted a free but a point apiece from the midfield duo of Dermot McGee and Tomás Plunkett gave Carnaross a six point lead. Summerhill scored the next two points but Carnaross responded immediately with another point from the boot of Dermot McGee. McGee then put the result beyond doubt when his long range effort was misjudged by the keeper and ended up in the net. The keeper redeemed himself moments later when he denied Charles Brogan in the closing stages. Both sides scored one more point each with Niall McDonnell landing his third point of the game for Carnaross who march on to the semi-final.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Peter Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Gillic; Peter S. Farrelly, Ian Donoghue, Liam Brogan; Tomás Plunkett (0-1), Dermot McGee (1-7); Patrick Nugent, Charles Brogan, Cillian Comaskey (1-0); Shane Casserly, Niall McDonnell (0-3), Frank O’Reilly; Subs: Cian O’Reilly for Frank O’Reilly; John Plunkett for Tomás Plunkett;

Carnaross 1-9 Dunsany 0-13

Junior A Championship (Semi-Final)

Played in Paddy O’Brien Park – 3/10/2015

A late point for Dunsany in stoppage time put Carnaross out of the Junior Championship following a tight battle at Brews Hill which appeared to be heading for extra-time.

The game was tight right from the start and both sides missed early chances before Niall McDonnell finally broke the deadlock in the sixth minute with a fine effort from play. Dunsany then took the lead with two quickfire points within a minute. Another point for Dunsany edged them two in front but Carnaross replied with the game’s only goal coming from Charles Brogan following a surging run through the middle. Dunsany levelled matters a minute later and both sides went on to register three points each with Niall McDonnell (2) and Patrick Nugent hitting the target for Carnaross to leave it all square at the break, 1-4 to 0-7.

Dunsany started brightest in the second-half and scored two early points but a free from Dermot McGee kept Carnaross in touch. Both sides went on to exchange two points each with both of the Carnaross scores coming from Niall McDonnell. Another free from Dunsany gave them a two point advantage with ten minutes remaining but Carnaross fought back and a point each from Niall McDonnell and Dermot McGee left the teams level for the sixth time with five minutes remaining. There was no breakthrough for the remainder of normal time as both sides battled for a winner. Extra-time seemed certain until Dunsany snatched the victory with the late winner in stoppage time to claim their place in the final.

Carnaross: Ollie Murphy; Peter Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey, Cian Gillic; Peter S. Farrelly, Ian Donoghue, Liam Brogan; Tomás Plunkett, Dermot McGee (0-2); Patrick Nugent (0-1), Charles Brogan (1-0), Cillian Comaskey; Shane Casserly, Niall McDonnell (0-6), Frank O’Reilly; Subs: John L McGee for Shane Casserly; Thomas Nugent for Liam Brogan; Brian Comaskey for Peter S Farrelly; Cian O’Reilly for Cillian Comaskey;




Our Pitch Sponsors

Thanks to all our sponsors for your continued support