Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2017 A League Division 3

Team played won drawn lost FOR AGAINST difference points
Trim 9 7 2 0 161 98 63 16
Oldcastle 10 7 2 1 183 122 61 16
Bective 10 6 2 2 187 141 46 14
Clann na nGael 10 7 0 3 172 128 44 14
St Ultan’s 10 5 1 4 147 131 16 11
Dunsany 10 4 2 4 164 133 31 10
Carnaross 10 4 2 4 133 130 3 10
Drumbaragh 10 3 2 5 143 162 -19 8
Kilmainham 10 2 3 5 113 151 -38 7
St Vincents 10 2 2 6 118 182 -64 6
Kilmainhamwood 9 1 1 7 111 170 -59 3
St Brigid’s 10 1 1 8 124 208 -84 3

Carnaross 3-7 Clann na nGael 1-8

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 18/2/2017

Carnaross came away with two valuable points from the opening league match of 2017. On a night when hopping the ball was a mortal sin, this was always going to be a dogfight. The game was tied on 4 occasions but Carnaross’ ability to score goals at crucial times was the crucial difference.

The visitors opened the scoring with a free flowing attack which ended up in the Carnaross net after a succession of sharp intricate hand passes. They quickly added a point but the on-form Dillon Fox settled Carnaross’ nerves with a well taken point.

Clann na nGael continued to dominate early proceedings and scored the next two points to stretch their lead to 5 points. They had made a number of positional changes before the throw in which were paying dividends with full back-turned-midfielder Darren Kelly knocking over 2 points in a bullish performance. They also installed the evergreen Graham Geraghty as sweeper and Carnaross were struggling to find a way past the All Ireland winning captain of 1999.

With the aid of his new Adidas boots and protective gumshield, Dermot McGee kicked some outlandish frees from distance with the outside of the boot which kept Carnaross alive when they were struggling to find their rhythm. Shortly before half time, a long ball was delivered into the Clann na nGael square and Frank O’Reilly rose highest to fist the ball into the net with Charlie Brogan clearing out the ruck for good measure. Clann na nGael responded with another point but Dermot McGee levelled matters again to leave the half time score Carnaross 1-4, Clann na nGael 1-4.

Carnaross took the lead momentarily through Dillon Fox early in the second half but this was short-lived as the Athboy/Rathcairn men restored parity. The match ebbed and flowed with both teams failing to convert their chances. Dermot McGee was deadly accurate with his frees and finished with 5 points to his name. With the game in the balance, Carnaross got a minor stroke of luck when a goalbound effort from Charles Brogan ricocheted off two Clann na nGael players before finding the net. Clann na nGael refused to lie down though and cut the lead back to a single point but up stepped Cillian Comaskey who killed the game as a contest when he was quickest to a loose ball at the edge of the square calmly finishing with his weaker foot.

Carnaross will be delighted to register a win in the league at their first asking in 2017 after losing their first 8 league games last year. In an evenly contested encounter Carnaross’ ability to score goals combined with a dogged determination saw them over the line in the end.

Carnaross: Connor Kenny; Peter Carpenter, Tomás Plunkett, Liam Brogan; Niall McDonnell, Ian Donoghue, Cian Gillic; Cormac O’Reilly, Michael Brogan; Cillian Comaskey (1-0), Dermot McGee (0-5), Stephen Flattery; Frank O’Reilly (1-0), Charles Brogan (1-0), Dillon Fox (0-2); Subs: Thomas Nugent for Stephen Flattery; Shane Casserly for Niall McDonnell; Peter S Farrelly for Tomás Plunkett; Dean Connell for Dillon Fox;

Carnaross 3-10 St. Vincents 1-4

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 12/3/2017

Carnaross accounted for St. Vincents on a sun-kissed afternoon in North Meath to maintain their 100% start to Division 3 in 2017. A minute’s silence was held prior to throw in as a mark of respect to Carnaross native Nina McDonagh, a grandmother of Carnaross players Ian and Paul Donoghue.

Midfielder Dermot McGee began proceedings with a fine pointed effort before Vincents struck for a goal to unsettle the men in maroon and saffron hoops. Frank O’Reilly settled the nerves before Cillian Comaskey finished a sweeping move to the roof of the net with McGee ably providing the assist. Frank continued to pose problems for the Vincents defence with his incisive runs inside and after 20 minutes of play, he had 3 points to his name. McGee continued his fine form from dead balls sending over 2 frees to leave Carnaross leading by 5 at the break, 1-6 to 1-1. The inability to guarantee a bounce on the rain-soaked surface, ensured working the ball out of defence was far from a simple task.

Vincents began the second half brightly with a point from play but this turned out to be a false dawn as Carnaross increased the intensity to kill off the challenge posed by their maroon counterparts. First of all, Niall McDonnell delivered an inch perfect “pass” to the edge of the square where Comaskey climbed highest to fist it to the net amidst two helpless St. Vincents’ defenders. Comaskey dusted himself off and kept his now inflated head afloat while knocking over a superb solo effort from just inside the 45 to bring his own tally to an impressive 2-1. After this, the game lost some of its structure due to some sloppy mistakes from both sides when the intensity dropped.

Cormac O’Reilly was beginning to tire around the middle as he was one of 6 Carnaross players to play 2 games in 48 hours. When he was unable to pick up a breaking ball and opted to head it instead, he was wisely moved into the full forward line. However he saved one final ounce of strength to rifle in a thunderbolt of a goal that hit both posts before nestling in the Vincents net. Liam Day, introduced as a substitute, reinvigorated the forward line stretching the Vincents defenders. He finished with two points in his short cameo role, including a free after he was unceremoniously brought down after selling a delightful dummy.  Carnaross introduced their talisman Paddy Smith who continued in his rich vein of form and brought the scoring to a fitting conclusion.

This was an impressive display of work ethic and vigour by the full Carnaross squad. On a day when the pitch made sprinting a monumental task, Carnaross use of the football was intelligent and they emerged as deserving winners.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny; Peter Carpenter, Peter S Farrelly, Liam Brogan; Cian Gillic, Cian O’Reilly, Cian Yore; Dermot McGee (0-3, 2f), Cormac O’Reilly (1-0); Niall McDonnell, Cillian Comaskey (2-1), Stephen Flattery; Frank O’Reilly (0-3), Thomas Nugent, Dean Connell; Subs: Shane Casserly for Cian Yore; Liam Day (0-2, 1f) for Dean Connell; Paddy Smith (0-1) for Stephen Flattery; Matt O’Reilly for Cian O’Reilly;

Carnaross 0-8 Kilmainham 0-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Kilmainham – 26/3/2017

Carnaross and Kilmainham served up a real war of attrition fought in idyllic conditions early on Sunday morning. A share of the spoils seemed somewhat inevitable as Carnaross clawed back to within a point with 3 minutes remaining but alas lady luck nor the referee shared this inevitability and Kilmainham clung on to inflict Carnaross’ first defeat of this year’s league campaign.

Kilmainham raced out of the blocks early on and were very clinical in the final third establishing a 5 points to no score advantage with the aid of the wind. Carnaross eventually settled after spurning a number of scoreable chances and began to get to grips with the defensive system Kilmainham had employed. Dermot McGee pointed from a free and Cormac O’Reilly doubled our tally with a fine effort from play. The teams then traded converted frees before Cillian Comaskey, fresh from his groomsmen duties on Friday, delicately scored from an acute angle to leave 3 points separating the teams at half time. Carnaross were struggling to break down a crowded Kilmainham rear-guard that were counterattacking dangerously.

The men in red and black extended their lead to 4 points before the intensity levels lifted significantly in this tense local derby. Scores were at a premium but questionable shoulders and hard hitting tackles were readily available. Dermot McGee’s direct running afforded him the opportunity to goal but the foot of the post came to the Kilmainham goalie’s rescue. Kilmainham got in on the act and rifled a goalbound effort of their own off Conor Kenny’s post to match their North Meath counterparts. Comaskey doubled his tally to restore some structure to this fiery encounter.  However this was to be his last involvement of the day as an off-the-ball incident with his marker resulted in the referee needlessly brandishing 2 red cards. Kilmainham finished their scoring in the 47th minute leaving 4 between the sides.

Carnaross dug deep and began to assert their dominance reeling off 3 points in a row. Carnaross were solid in defence and punished Kilmainham with Cian O’Reilly and Niall Mc Donnell taking the game to them by running at them causing them difficulties. Frank converted a free, Mc Donnell finished a lovely move and Liam Brogan popped up to land a collector’s item from his corner back berth. With 3 minutes left, Carnaross looked certain to add to their tally but a series of unusual and somewhat ridiculous events conspired against them. First of all McGee’s goalbound free was signalled as a point by the umpire but overruled by the referee and the effort was ruled out. Then Kilmainham took a quick free that was intercepted by Frank O’Reilly who advanced on goal and laid it off to substitute Liam Day who coolly slotted it into the net when the easy option of a point was available. The referee awarded the goal but after consultation with the umpires, he was overruled this time, deeming O’Reilly was too close to the original free!

Carnaross drew the game and won the game in short succession but they left as one point losers! No-one would have bemoaned a draw but Kilmainham held out for a hard earned victory in an intriguing battle. They will feel aggrieved that they have nothing to show for their valiant efforts but this hard hitting encounter will stand to both teams considering the season is only in its infancy.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny; Peter Carpenter, Cian O’Reilly, Liam Brogan; Cian Yore, Ian Donoghue, Cian Gillic; Dermot McGee (0-2f), Michael Brogan; Niall McDonnell (0-1), Stephen Flattery (0-1), Cormac O’Reilly (0-1); Thomas Nugent, Cillian Comaskey (0-2), Frank O’Reilly (0-2, 0-1f). Subs: Liam Day for Flattery; Tomás Plunkett for Cormac O’Reilly;

Carnaross 1-9 Drumbaragh 1-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Drumbaragh – 1/4/2017

In this re-arranged league fixture, Drumbaragh snatched a draw despite leading for the majority of the contest. The gale force wind dictated that both teams would have one half to attack and the other to defend.

Drumbaragh played with the elements in the first half and struggled to make the full use out of them in the early stages. Carnaross had lost influential forward Niall McDonnell 30 seconds into the contest when he took a blow to the face.  After 21 minutes, the scores were level at 1 point apiece with both teams guilty of spurning decent opportunities. Drumbaragh finally kicked into gear and winning the majority of the breaks in the middle, began to establish a commanding lead. In a ten minute period before half time, the Drums kicked 1-5 without reply. The half-time whistle was a welcome respite as Carnaross hadn’t been performing to their potential being outworked and outmuscled by their local counterparts, trailing 1-6 to 0-1. Dermot McGee’s free was their solitary score and they knew that another repeat of their first half performance would see them lose to a second local Intermediate team in less than 7 days.

Carnaross made a number of positional changes and introduced John Brogan for his first team debut and he more than asserted himself in his cameo role. Drumbaragh continued to assert their dominance early in the second half when their midfielder Fagan broke through the middle of the Carnaross defence for the second time but crucially this time his goalbound effort was tipped over the bar by McNiffe in goals. Carnaross responded instantly when a long ball was delivered into the square where Michael Brogan broke it down to Frank O’Reilly who finished delicately igniting the Carnaross comeback. Liam Day capitalised on a misplaced kickout to open his tally and suddenly the momentum was firmly with the men in maroon and saffron hoops. Dermot McGee kicked two points from play and Liam Brogan tore down the pitch splitting the posts for his second point in consecutive matches. Drumbaragh were struggling to get the ball beyond the half way line and Carnaross were hunting them down in packs. When Dermot McGee landed a free, he left the minimum between the teams with Drumbaragh clinging on to their narrow lead.

Carnaross’ failure to convert some difficult scoring opportunities gave Drumbaragh some much-needed respite and they eventually broke down the field to extend their lead to 2 with 5 minutes remaining. Carnaross upped the intensity again and after Frank O’Reilly’s free struck the upright, Cian O’Reilly reacted quickest and rather acrobatically sent it over the bar. With 1 minute remaining, Cian O’Reilly doubled his tally and sent over the equalising score meaning the next kickout was crucial. Tomás Plunkett won the resulting mark and sent the ball diagonally to Frank O’Reilly who turned instantly sending over from distance. The sizeable Carnaross contingent clenched their fists and beeped their horns in jubilation in full belief that Carnaross had won the game. However the team in Mayo colours broke down the field in desperation for a late equaliser. The Carnaross rearguard forced two rushed efforts that unfortunately stayed in play due to the howling wind and after an erratic scramble on the 14 yard line, the referee awarded Drumbaragh a free which they duly converted.

Carnaross showed great resolve in clawing back a 9 point deficit and could have won it after never leading in normal time but it wasn’t to be.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Tomás Plunkett, Liam Brogan (0-1); Cian Yore, Cian O’Reilly (0-2), Peter Shay Farrelly; Michael Brogan, Cormac O’Reilly; Cian Gillic, Dermot McGee (0-5), Niall McDonnell; Frank O’Reilly (1-1), Thomas Nugent, Liam Day (0-1); Subs: Peter Carpenter for Niall McDonnell; John Brogan for Cian Yore;

Carnaross 1-10 Dunsany 0-13

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 9/4/2017

Two heavyweights of the Junior championship clashed in the 5th round of the league in what was a curtain raiser for their championship encounter later on in the year. Despite leading for the majority of the game, Dunsany rescued a point with the last kick of the game ensuring parity on a balmy afternoon in Carnaross.

Dunsany raced into an early lead rattling off 4 unanswered points with ease as Carnaross struggled to find the final elusive pass despite working the ball well up the field. Cillian Comaskey was a constant thorn in the Dunsany defence throughout and his direct running temporarily halted the beaten Junior finalists’ early dominance. Referee Patrick Nelis allowed advantage in the box after full forward Comaskey was dragged down and the son of the great Eugene somehow managed to finish beyond his man and the oncoming goalkeeper despite being in total freefall. The two teams played open expansive football which led to a free flowing and exciting encounter but Dunsany’s clinical ability to convert chances into scores was the main difference as they lead 7 points to 1 goal after 20minutes. Carnaross lost Cian O’Reilly to injury but he was ably replaced by Shane Casserly whose recent gym exploits were matched by his onfield antics when he split the posts.

The North Meath men eventually settled in the final third of the field and finished the half the better team with scores coming from midfielder Dermot McGee and a further two points from the in-form Comaskey (Cillian, not Eugene). At half time, a mere point separated the teams with Dunsany holding the slender 0-8 to 1-4 advantage. Indeed they might have been further ahead were it not for the combined effort of the extra-lean Conor Kenny in goals and the crossbar when denying Dunsany a certain goal.

Carnaross burst out of the blocks in the second half continuing their fine free-flowing football with scorer in-chief Dermot McGee bagging a hat-trick of points. Dunsany responded with 2 points of their own but were struggling to come to terms with a tigerish Carnaross defence. The defenders were hitting hard, doubling up in the tackle and staying disciplined leading to numerous turnovers. Carnaross moved the ball quickly with deadly accurate kick passing finding Liam Day who nonchalantly tapped over. Frank O’Reilly converted a free and Cillian Comaskey wisely pointed after Dunsany’s full back had earlier cleared Dermot McGee’s goal bound effort off the line. With 3 minutes of normal time remaining, Carnaross were leading by 2 points and despite some promising attacks, couldn’t produce the insurance score. Dunsany, to their credit, regained a stranglehold of the midfield battle with man-mountain Marsh particularly impressive. Dunsany peppered the Carnaross goals and left the minimum between the Junior rivals with normal time elapsed. Referee Nelis, who added to the game with his vocal and consistent decisions (despite Frank’s constant protestations and instant apologies), informed the faithful supporters that there would be 3 additional minutes to be played. Eventually Dunsany broke through the Carnaross rearguard and snatched a draw when they converted a free with time up.

Both teams left the field exhausted but with plenty of positives and will relish their encounter in the group stages of the Junior Championship later on this year which promises to be a tight and evenly fought contest.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny; Peter Shay Farrelly, Thomas Nugent, Ian Donoghue; Cian Yore, Tomás Plunkett, Cian Gillic; Dermot McGee (0-4, 0-1f), Michael Brogan; Cian O’Reilly, Frank O’Reilly (0-1f), Cormac O’Reilly; Liam Day (0-1), Cillian Comaskey (1-3), Stephen Flattery; Subs: Shane Casserly (0-1) for Cian O’Reilly; Aidan Lynch for Cian Yore; Dean Connell for Liam Day;

Carnaross 1-13 Oldcastle 1-10

A League (Division 3)

Played in Millbrook – 22/4/2017

Carnaross picked up a valuable 2 points away in Milbrook on Saturday evening. Oldcastle rallied late on and valiantly tried to sneak an undeserved share of the spoils but the Carnaross rear-guard held firm picking up their 3rd win of the campaign.

Oldcastle set up quite defensively attempting to disrupt and stifle the Carnaross attack with energy and sheer numbers but Frank O’Reilly set down a marker rifling over the first score with barely 40 seconds on the clock. Oldcastle responded to draw the teams level but were struggling to match the intensity levels of the visitors. The half forward line of Niall McDonnell and the 2 O’Reillys, Frank and Cormac, were dominating possession around the middle sector and this afforded Dermot McGee and Frank O’Reilly the opportunity to kick two scintillating scores from distance, merely bypassing the blanket. The freedom afforded to Frank O’Reilly as a centre forward enabled him to roam around Milbrook utilising his pace and he added to his growing tally with 2 more points. Oldcastle were dangerous on the counter attack however, and the heroic efforts of Cian Gillic’s last gasp block denied Oldcastle a certain goal. However he was later forced off due to an injury that occurred during that process and was ably replaced by style merchant John Brogan. Oldcastle countered again and made no mistake this time around, scoring a well worked goal making use of their overlap. Liam Day converted a free and Cormac O’Reilly brought the half to a close with a monumental effort to leave Carnaross leading by 2 points at half time, 0-7 to 1-2, after blitzing their North Meath opponents. Carnaross felt aggrieved not to be leading by more and knew that Oldcastle were going to up their performance levels in the second half.  Cillian Comaskey was instrumental throughout this game. His ball winning ability in the air was worth the admission fee alone. He was continuously out in front winning primary possession and the Oldcastle defence never got to grips with the Carnaross talisman. With Oldcastle employing a sweeper, the deadly accurate passing from distance by Niall Mc Donnell, Dermot McGee and Frank O’Reilly into the lively and tireless Day and Comaskey was reaping reward.

The second half began with a bang when Stephen Flattery raced into the opponent’s box and was unceremoniously upended resulting in a penalty which Dermot McGee converted. Oldcastle responded with a point but ferocious Carnaross defending kept them at bay. Dermot McGee converted a free and Liam Brogan ventured up the field to extend the lead to 6 with 15 minutes remaining. An Oldcastle purple patch was ominous and 4 points in as many minutes lead to an exciting and tension ridden conclusion. Carnaross had lost the lead in their previous 3 league games and were determined not to let this one slip away. Frank O’Reilly added two frees and a delightful score from play on the turn stemmed the blue tide but Oldcastle fought on with two points of their own. With 5 minutes remaining, Conor McHugh fielded expertly on the end line and bared down on goal but he was denied by the feet of goalkeeper Shane McNiffe. Oldcastle could not penetrate the stout Carnaross defence and had to settle for 2 points to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Dermot McGee concluded the scoring with a fine effort on his left after a free had landed short, putting 3 points between the North Meath teams. Oldcastle recently grabbed a last minute equaliser against Bective (which even had the Aguero injury-time goal commentary of 2014 added to the video, for comedic effect) and with this fresh in their minds, they desperately set about repeating these heroics. They peppered the Carnaross square with high deliveries but alas the maroon and saffron men held firm and killed the game out as a contest.

Carnaross lost their first 8 games of the league last year and naturally confidence was down and the players began to question their ability. In a brutally honest team discussion, we all agreed that if we could eradicate one individual error from each of our performances, results would improve. Dermot needed to stop attempting shots with his weaker foot and Liam Brogan needed to stop shooting with the outside of his boot! Liam Brogan kicked a bedamnedable  beauty with the outside of the right to extend the lead to 6, his 3rd point in 4 games and McGee later, with the game in the balance, kicked over the final score with his supposed weaker foot.

The confidence is back in the Carnaross camp and the brief era of self-doubting is gone and long forgotten. They left Milbrook content with their 2 points after a string of disappointing conclusions in the previous 3 league matches.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, Liam Brogan (0-1); Peter Shay Farrelly, Tomás Plunkett, Cian Gillic; Dermot McGee (1-3, 1-1f), Michael Brogan; Niall McDonnell, Frank O’Reilly (0-7, 0-3f), Cormac O’Reilly (0-1); Liam Day (0-1), Cillian Comaskey, Stephen Flattery; Subs: John Brogan for Cian Gillic; Shane Casserly for Liam Day; Paul Donoghue for Stephen Flattery;

Carnaross 2-7 Trim 1-17

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 29/4/2017

With 7 minutes remaining in Carnaross on Saturday night, Carnaross were on a roll after scoring 1-3 without reply to leave Trim clinging on to their lead by a solitary point. However with an extended break for an injury, Trim settled themselves and responded with 1-3 of their own when Carnaross had committed men forward to salvage something from the game. This left a somewhat inflated feel to the final scoreboard and brought to an end Carnaross’ unbeaten record at home this year.

Trim began the brighter of the two sides and raced into a 3 point to no score lead ably assisted by the wind. Dermot McGee opened the North Meath men’s account with a trademark outside of the boot effort. Trim dominated proceedings but couldn’t reflect this on the scoreboard due to a combination of wayward passing and tenacious tackling by the Carnaross defenders. Trim changed their approach and began to run directly at Carnaross from deep in numbers. The sturdy trio of the post, the crossbar and Shane McNiffe denied goal opportunities on 4 occasions as Trim’s frustrations grew. Carnaross hung in against the wind and despite Trim registering 3 late points, a late furry in response by Tom Shine’s team ensured the game was still in the balance. Frank O’Reilly converted a free and Shane Casserly reacted quickest to fire over a pop shot after Cillian Comaskey’s opportune effort had rebounded off the butt of the post. At the change of ends, Carnaross trailed by five, 0-8 to 0-3, which was a welcome return considering the pressure they’d endured but they started the second half confident in the knowledge that they had yet to reach top gear.

Trim rampaged through the middle and extended their lead to 6 from the throw in, in full confidence that Carnaross would merely roll over. Stephen Flattery rose highest to claim an unheralded mark and chose to deliver his big kick special towards the forwards. The power of the big kick deceived everyone except for the serpent Frank O’Reilly. He duly collected the delivery, raced towards goal beating his man and finished expertly to blow the game wide open. Trim responded with a free and Dermot McGee ensured the margin remained at 3 with a perfectly executed free from distance. Trim registered the next 4 points in this evenly fought encounter as their ability to convert chances ultimately proved the difference on the day. Carnaross were not finished yet however, and in a 5 minute period they had reduced the deficit to a solitary point. Dermot McGee added 2 points from distance either side of the goal, one curled effort and another trademark outside of the right. For the goal Carnaross swept forward in numbers, through a series of hand passes reminiscent of the Mighty Ducks Flying V and the ball fell to Flattery. He evaded his 2 markers with a well taken bounce and rifled the ball low into the net with the help of the post. Carnaross won the next 2 kickouts and converted both with the aforementioned McGee score and Liam Day converting a free from a tight angle on the right. With 9 minutes remaining, the momentum was firmly with the North Meath team but disaster struck when the industrious Liam Brogan went down injured and needed assistance to leave the field. This offered the Intermediate side a respite and a chance to catch their breath and regain their composure. They tagged on 3 points to leave 4 in it and Carnaross couldn’t convert their ample opportunities. With time up and Carnaross defenders gone AWOL in search of a draw, Trim concluded the game with a goal.

Carnaross will take a number of positives from this stern encounter with table toppers Trim. Trim deserved their victory on the night because of their clinical forwards but Carnaross matched their intensity and through their dogged determination, almost snatched something from this encounter but alas it wasn’t to be.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, Liam Brogan; John Brogan, Tomás Plunkett, Stephen Flattery (1-0); Dermot McGee (0-4, 0-1f), Cillian Comaskey; Niall Mc Donnell, Frank O’Reilly (1-1, 0-1f), Cormac O’Reilly; Liam Day (0-1f), Shane Casserly (0-1), Paul Donoghue; Subs: Peter Shay Farrelly for Paul Donoghue and Aidan Lynch for Liam Brogan;

Carnaross 0-8 St. Ultan’s 1-15

A League (Division 3)

Played in Bohermeen – 7/5/2017

St. Ultans swept Carnaross aside in idyllic conditions in the beautifully presented Sean Newman Park.

Ultans raced into a 1-5 to one point lead and were opening Carnaross up at will with penetrating runs from deep. Carnaross simply couldn’t come to terms with their opposition in the first half as they dominated proceedings for the entirety of the first 30 minutes. Frank O’Reilly curbed the influence of Rennicks in midfield whose long strides had tormented the Hoops early on by kicking 3 points himself. Dermot McGee was the only other scorer in a half devoid of any intensity or substance for the maroon and saffron men. The half time scoreboard read 1-11 to 0-4 and if anything, Ultans might have been further ahead.

Carnaross rallied in the second half and upped their performance dramatically by adding aggression and desire to their game. It had the desired effect as breaking ball was repeatedly mopped up in the middle sector setting up wave after wave of attack. Carnaross drove forward in numbers in a valiant attempt to regain some pride, never mind parity. Fortunately for the Bohermeen men, Carnaross’ bravery wasn’t matched by their kicking accuracy and a failure to convert chances consistently ensured the comeback never really materialised. Dermot McGee began proceedings with an effort from play which Frank O’Reilly followed up with a free. Sam Reynolds, making his first team debut, chipped in with a fine point which was no more than his tireless display deserved. Carnaross defence fought tirelessly to keep St. Ultans scoreless for the first 15 minutes of the second half but eventually they broke through to score 3 points in a row to quench any embers left in the failed Carnaross Rising. Frank O’Reilly converted another free before Carnaross’ wayward shooting spurned some decent scoring opportunities and St. Ultans finished the day with a final point.

Carnaross left the field despondent with their flatness in the first half and their wastefulness in the second. St. Ultans were fully deserving winners and punished a lacklustre Carnaross side. The clinical St. Ultans side kicked a mere 3 wides over the 60 minutes while Carnaross kicked a staggering 14 wides, with 11 of those coming in that frustrating second period.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Peter Shay Farrelly, Thomas Nugent, Ian Donoghue; John Brogan, Tomás Plunkett, Sam Reynolds (0-1); Dermot McGee (0-2), Michael Brogan; Cormac O’Reilly, Frank O’Reilly (0-5, 0-3f), Stephen Flattery; Niall McDonnell, Cillian Comaskey, Shane Casserly; Subs: Paul Donoghue for Cormac O’Reilly; Liam Day for John Brogan; Aidan Lynch for Shane Casserly; Cian Yore for Stephen Flattery; Cormac O’Reilly for Michael Brogan;

Carnaross 2-8 Bective 2-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 14/6/2017

Bective emerged one point victors after an engaging, high intensity tussle played in Carnaross on Wednesday evening. The lead constantly switched between the two evenly matched teams with never more than a kick of the ball between them for the duration of the game. Marty Mulhall’s penalty with 4 minutes remaining proved to be crucial in the end.

Bective began the game with a bang with Seán Keating reacting quickest to a loose ball to scramble home a poacher’s goal. Carnaross were keen to banish the memories of last year’s JFC semi-final defeat and responded instantly through Leaving Cert student Frank O’Reilly. With the wind at his back, the ball in his hand, standing on the sideline and with only construction studies left to sit, he hit a H1 free that Maurice Fitzgerald would have been proud of. This lifted the Carnaross spirit as Dermot McGee broke through the heart of the Navan parishes defence and was unfortunate to see his effort rebound off the post.  Bective steadied themselves with a point before Frank O’Reilly claimed a mark at midfield setting up an attack that resulted in the returning Charlie “Big Bang” Brogan, uncharacteristically slipping the ball ever so gracefully past the onrushing keeper. The lively O’Reilly continued to torment the Bective defence with a second point. Bective continued to look dangerous on the counter attack as the physical and free flowing nature of the game continued. Dermot McGee kicked a delightful point from play but Bective finished the half the stronger with 4 of the last 5 points to take a 1-5 to 1-3 lead. Bective were the happier of the two teams at the interval as Carnaross with the aid of the stiff breeze hadn’t maximized their scoring potential, kicking 7 wides.

Bective were determined to repeat last year’s heroics and kill the contest early in the second half but McNiffe in goals stood up strong to a goal-bound effort from the edge of the square. Somehow, Ian Donoghue found himself in a scoring position and gleefully knocked over the first point of the half but apparently not the first point of his career. Frank O’Reilly converted another free before “Big Bang” Brogan repeated his first half heroics carefully threading the ball by the Bective keeper for his second goal, all the more impressive considering this was his first game back after a serious injury. The Carnaross full back line excelled throughout with constant dispossessions from a potent Bective full forward line, especially Aidan Lynch who was the stand out performer. Bective kicked 3 points in a row but Carnaross continued to bring the fight to them with Dermot and Frank breaking through the defence to finish off intricate moves up the field. With Michael Brogan forced off early on, Arms McDonnell dutifully lorded midfield despite being a wing forward and finished with 6 marks to his name.  Bective converted a questionable free to leave the home team ahead by the minimum with 4 to go. The Carnaross defence repeatedly fought off relentless attacks but were penalised for a block on the line which resulted in Mulhall converting the penalty. Frank O’Reilly converted a free which left the minimum in it with 60 seconds left on the clock. Carnaross had chances to get something from this league encounter with the Bective defence held firm and left the field one point victors.

Despite the defeat, Carnaross left the field content with their full blooded performance, despite having nothing to show for it. On an evening where the defence excelled, the positives included Charles Brogan and John L McGee’s return to first team football after serious injuries along with Jack Roche gaining his first taste of his first team football.

Carnaross: Shane Mc Niffe; Aidan Lynch, Tomás Plunkett, Liam Brogan; Cian Yore, Ian Donoghue (0-1), Stephen Flattery; Michael Brogan, Cillian Comaskey; Niall McDonnell, Dermot McGee (0-2), Frank O’Reilly (0-5, 0-3f); Thomas Nugent, Charles Brogan (2-0), Shane Casserly; Subs: John L McGee for Michael Brogan; Jack Roche for Cian Yore;

Carnaross 0-14 St. Brigid’s 1-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 2/7/2017

Carnaross were pushed right to the full time whistle by their Junior A counterparts in their final home league game of 2017. With normal time elapsed, the teams were level and both sides spurned chances to win it but eventually Carnaross capitalised on their numerical advantage to claim both points.

St. Brigid’s began proceedings before corner forward Decky Reilly scored twice in as many minutes, first from play and then from a free. St. Brigid’s restored parity with a point before their centre forward Joe Blake tore through the defence from half way to blast to the net. During this North Meath clash the hits were always full of intensity, always full of physicality but seldom were they expertly timed. After an aforementioned questionable St. Brigids tackle, tempers frayed and a number of players from both sides exchanged pleasantries by assuming the modern squaring up method of jersey-grappling and hot-air blowing with nothing substantial actually occurring. However the St. Brigid’s wing-back clearly hasn’t been watching football in the 21st century as he tore into the fracas and let loose with a haymaker which he duly received his marching orders for. Carnaross dominated the next 5 minutes rattling off 3 unanswered points through the trusty left boot of the in-form Reilly. Two Ballinacree frees were sandwiched between two similar moves for Carnaross which resulted in 2 points. The ball was delivered directly into full forward Charles Brogan who broke it down to the gym shark Casserly who duly converted. Reilly completed the scoring for Carnaross with the final two scores of the half bringing his personal tally to seven after a mere 30 minutes. At half time, Carnaross held a deserved 2 point lead, 0-9 to 1-4, and 1 man advantage which boded well for the second period.

However, St. Brigids were determined to set down a marker for the upcoming championship encounter and refused to lie down and regained parity 5 minutes into the second half. Reilly converted another free before Niall McDonnell began to dominate proceedings taking the game by the scruff of the neck, driving at the Brigids rear-guard and launching over the score of the game after a characteristic solo run. Indeed, Niall was a man on a mission, as he sought to regain the top-dog position in the McDonnell household after the heroics of the returning Ciarán from Australia last week. He doubled his tally before St. Brigids fought back with 3 points in a row to leave it level with normal time elapsed. In Carnaross’ last 11 first-team encounters this year, only one game has had more than a goal between the teams with normal time elapsed and this league encounter continued that trend ensuring a tense and nervous conclusion. Both teams spurned two decent chances to grab the lead before McDonnell capped a great performance with a crucial point from play before the equally impressive Reilly concluded proceedings with a free.

Carnaross failed to capitalise on their numerical advantage and enabled the men from Ballinacree to stay in touch which ultimately left the game in the balance but the maroon and saffron men dug deep and came good when it mattered most.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny; Aidan Lynch, Peter Shay Farrelly, Liam Brogan; Ian Donoghue, Tomás Plunkett, Cian Gillic; Cillian Comaskey, Michael Brogan; Sam Reynolds, Stephen Flattery, Niall McDonnell (0-3); Decky Reilly (0-9, 0-5fs), Charles Brogan, Shane Casserly (0-2); Subs: John Brogan for Michael Brogan; Thomas Nugent for Shane Casserly;




Our Pitch Sponsors

Thanks to all our sponsors for your continued support