Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2011 A League Division 3

Carnaross 3-11 Ratoath 5-8

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 11/2/2011

Carnaross were left to rue the concession of five goals as all their hard work was undone by a combination of defensive mistakes and good finishing by Ratoath.

Carnaross started well and led 0-3 to 0-1 after ten minutes with points from Niall McDonnell, Ollie Murphy and Declan Reilly. The opening goal of the game came from Ratoath and they converted two frees to take a three point lead. Carnaross responded strongly and dominated the remainder of the half. Declan Reilly added a free before Dermot McGee put his team back in front with a goal. John Ward and Declan Reilly (2) added more points before Ratoath finished the first-half scoring with a point leaving Carnaross 1-7 to 1-4 ahead at the interval.

After three minutes of the second-half, Ratoath had turned the game around after hitting the net twice in quick succession giving them a three point lead. Niall McDonnell scored two good points from play but after ten minutes Ratoath found their way through the Carnaross defence to hit the net once again to put them five in front. Carnaross quickly cancelled out that goal when Declan Reilly pounced on a loose ball to finish from close range. Reilly added another free but two more points from Ratoath kept them in front. With five minutes remaining Ratoath got in again for their fifth goal and another point put them seven in front. Carnaross kept up the fight and an excellent goal from Dermot McGee reduced the margin before he added a point from play, but Carnaross ran out of time as Ratoath held on.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; John Plunkett, Patrick Nugent, Peter Farrelly; Charles Brogan, Stein Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey; Dermot McGee (2-1), Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith, John L McGee, Declan Reilly (1-5); John Ward (0-1), Ollie Murphy (0-1), Niall McDonnell (0-3); Subs: Stephen Flattery for Damian Smith; Stephen Dawson for Charles Brogan; Cian Gillic for Brian Comaskey;

Ratoath: A. Smith; S. Mc Mahon, P. Flaherty, G. Eiffe; N. Horgan, P. Kirwin, P. Haslam; L. Browne, F. Coyne; C.O Brien (1-0), K. Brady, M. Conmey; E. McMahon (1-2), G. Rooney (2-0), B. McMahon (1-5); Subs: B. O Brien (0-1) for M. Conmey; E. Boyle for K. Brady; D. McGill for G. Eiffe; M. Brazil for C. O Brien;

Carnaross 1-11 Drumbaragh 2-7

A League (Division 3)

Played in Drumbaragh – 6/3/2011

Carnaross picked their first league points following a tough battle with neighbours Drumbaragh.

Carnaross got off to the perfect start when Niall McDonnell finished a good run by firing low past the keeper. It was ten minutes before the next score when Charles Brogan scored a fine point from play before McDonnell added another point to put Carnaross five in front. However, Carnaross found themselves behind after conceding two goals in as many minutes. McDonnell put the sides level with another point from play after twenty minutes. Both sides went on to score two points each with Brian Comaskey and Damian Smith hitting the target for Carnaross which left the sides level 1-5 to 2-2 at the break.

Declan Reilly put Carnaross back in front with a free but Drumbaragh responded with a free of their own. Dermot McGee gave Carnaross the advantage again but once again Drumbaragh responded with a point. Daniel Reilly scored a point from play before Niall McDonnell doubled the advantage. A point from Drumbaragh left a point in it once again with ten minutes remaining. Carnaross finished the game strongly and a point each from Declan Reilly and Charles Brogan gave them a three point lead going into the closing stages. Drumbaragh refused to give in and two fantastic long range frees reduced the margin to a single point. However, Carnaross managed to hold on despite having to endure seven minutes of added time.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Cian Gillic, Thomas Nugent, Patrick Nugent; Eamonn Comaskey, Ollie Murphy, Peter Farrelly; Charles Brogan (0-2), Dermot McGee (0-1); Declan Reilly (0-2), John L McGee, Damian Smith (0-1); Niall McDonnell (1-3), Brian Comaskey (0-1), Stephen Flattery; Subs:Daniel Reilly (0-1) for Stephen Flattery;

Drumbaragh: W.Arkins; P Carry, B Forde, B Harte; D Gogarty, N Corcoran, J Morrisey; J Rennicks, M Smith (1-0); J Madden, S Bennett (0-3), J Connolly (0-1); T Carry (0-1), G Mc Cormack, C Carry (1-1); Subs: D Carry (0-1) for McCormack;

Carnaross 1-3 Na Fianna 3-11

A League (Division 3)

Played in Enfield – 27/3/2011

Carnaross had to endure a bad day at the office after the long trip to Enfield.

Missing a few regulars, Carnaross were chasing the game right from the throw in. Na Fianna had registered 1-2 in the opening minutes before Declan Reilly scored the first point for Carnaross. A well taken goal from Niall McDonnell left only a point between the sides after ten minutes. However, Na Fianna stretched clear once again scoring four points without reply. Their lead could have been more but for a good save from Cillian Comaskey. Niall McDonnell scored a fine point from play before the break to leave Carnaross trailing 1-6 to 1-2.

The second-half was all one way traffic after Na Fianna opened the scoring with a goal in the first minute. They dominated the remainder of the game with Carnaross getting their only point in the dying minutes from a Declan Reilly free.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Michael Brogan, Thomas Nugent, Patrick Nugent; Peter Nugent, Peter Farrelly, Eamonn Comaskey; Peter Mullan, Brian Comaskey; John Plunkett, Ollie Murphy, Stephen Flattery; Niall McDonnell (1-1), Ciaran McDonnell, Declan Reilly (0-2); Subs: Cian Gillic for Stephen Flattery; Ian Donoghue for Ciaran McDonnell; Shane Casserly for Eamonn Comaskey; Daniel Reilly for Brian Comaskey;

Carnaross 0-5 Gaeil Colmcille 1-14

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 3/6/2011

A very poor performance from Carnaross against neighbours Gaeil Colmcille resulted in a third league defeat from four games.

The opening ten minutes were tightly fought and Gaeil Colmcille led by three points to two with Declan Reilly and Niall McDonnell hitting the target for Carnaross. Another point for Gaeil Colmcille was cancelled out by Brian Comaskey’s effort but the Kells side stretched their lead further with two more points, one of which was pushed over the crossbar by Carnaross keeper Cillian Comaskey. Gaeil Colmcille continued to set the pace and added on three more points to lead 0-9 to 0-3 at half-time.

Dermot McGee scored the opening point of the second-half when his effort was well saved by the Gaeil Colmcille keeper following a good run. Gaeil Colmcille responded with a free before John L McGee added another point for Carnaross. This proved to be the final score for the home side as Gaeil Colmcille went on to dominate the remainder of the game scoring another 1-4 before the final whistle.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; John Plunkett, Thomas Nugent, Ian Donoghue; Ciaran McDonnell, Eamonn Comaskey, Michael Brogan; Dermot McGee (0-1), Brian Comaskey (0-1); Damian Smith, John L McGee (0-1), Niall McDonnell (0-1); Declan Reilly (0-1), Peter Nugent, Peter Mullan; Subs: Cian Gillic for Peter Nugent; Rory O’Connor for Declan Reilly; Shane Casserly for Damian Smith; Tom Shortt for Peter Mullan;

Carnaross 1-8 Kilmainham 2-12

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 24/6/2011

A bad run of results continued for Carnaross as they were second best to Kilmainham throughout this game played in miserable conditions.

Once Kilmainham opened the scoring with a second minute goal they never looked back and held the lead right to the finish. They had another two points on the board before Damian Smith got Carnaross off the mark. John L and Dermot McGee reduced the margin further with a point each from play but Kilmainham hit back with their second goal midway through the half. John L McGee and Declan Reilly added two more points for Carnaross before Kilmainham replied with two of their own. Damian Smith finished the first half with a fine point to leave Carnaross 0-6 to 2-5 behind at the break.

Both sides scored two points each in the opening ten minutes of the second half with Ciaran McDonnell and John L McGee hitting the target for Carnaross. Kilmainham then hit three points in a row to stretch their lead further. Carnaross missed a goal chance when Damian Smith’s low effort went the wrong side of the post. A goal did follow when John L McGee found the net but with five minutes remaining Kilmainham had done enough to see out the game and added another two points before the end.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Michael Brogan, Patrick Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Stein Carpenter, Ciaran McDonnell (0-1); Dermot McGee (0-1), Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith (0-2), Ollie Murphy, Niall McDonnell; Shane Casserly, John L McGee (1-3), Declan Reilly (0-1); Subs: Ian Donoghue for John Plunkett; Peter Mullan for Shane Casserly; Cian Gillic for Declan Reilly; Stephen Flattery for Ollie Murphy;

Carnaross 1-13 Clann na nGael 2-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 8/7/2011

A highly entertaining game ended with Carnaross victorious over Clann na nGael by the minimum margin.

The first-half was action packed from the start after Peter Mullan gave Carnaross the lead in the first minute. Clann na nGael then took the lead before Damian Smith levelled it with a well taken point for Carnaross after five minutes. John L McGee put Carnaross back in front with a free but their lead didn’t last too long when Clann na nGael went down the opposite end to score the game’s first goal. They added another point but Shane Casserly responded with a point for Carnaross. Two unanswered points for Clann na nGael stretched their lead further but Carnaross went on to finish the half strongly. Declan Reilly, John L McGee and Reilly again added three points in a row. Carnaross then found the net when Declan Reilly timed his run to perfection to fist the ball past the keeper. Clann na nGael hit back immediately with another goal before Peter Mullan and Shane Casserly finished the scoring to give Carnaross a 1-9 to 2-5 half-time lead.

John L McGee stretched the Carnaross lead to two points but Clann na nGael hit back to leave the sides level after forty minutes. A good save from Eamonn Comaskey in the Carnaross goal kept the sides level before a Niall McDonnell point edged Carnaross in front once again. Declan Reilly and Damian Smith gave Carnaross a three point lead with ten minutes remaining. The remainder of the game was very tight and Clann na nGael fought hard to get back into the game. They added two points to leave one in it but Carnaross managed to weather the storm and held on for a much needed victory.

Carnaross: Eamonn Comaskey; John Plunkett, Patrick Nugent, Ian Donoghue; Ciaran McDonnell, Dermot McGee, Peter Farrelly; Stein Carpenter, Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith (0-2), Niall McDonnell (0-1), Shane Casserly (0-2); Declan Reilly (1-3), John L McGee (0-3), Peter Mullan (0-2); Subs: Stephen Flattery for Shane Casserly;

Carnaross 2-13 Cortown 0-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 18/7/2011

A fine team performance from Carnaross made it two league wins in a row as they continued to push away from the bottom end of the table with a ten point victory over neighbours Cortown.

Carnaross led from the start and had a three point lead thanks to scores from Damian Smith, Declan Reilly and Niall McDonnell before Cortown opened their account. Full-back Patrick Nugent finished off a fine run up the field with a point before Shane Casserly added to it with a close range point from play. Cortown responded with two points of their own but Carnaross continued their impressive start with Niall McDonnell finishing to the net. McDonnell then linked up well with his brother Ciaran who split the posts with a long range point. Declan Reilly converted three frees for Carnaross leading up to the break but Cortown hit back with two points. The final score of the half went to Carnaross when Niall McDonnell grabbed his second goal of the game to give Carnaross a comfortable 2-9 to 0-5 lead at half-time.

It was the home side who started off the second-half scoring with a converted ’45 but Declan Reilly cancelled it out with a point soon afterwards. The game then became tight and scrappy with scores hard to come by. Both teams went on to score three points each before the final whistle with Ciaran McDonnell (2) and Niall McDonnell scoring for Carnaross who could have been further in front but were guilty of kicking eight second-half wides.

Carnaross: Eamonn Comaskey; Peter Farrelly, Patrick Nugent (0-1), Ian Donoghue; Ciaran McDonnell (0-3), Dermot McGee, Cian Gillic; Charles Brogan, Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith (0-1), Cillian Comaskey, Shane Casserly (0-1); Declan Reilly (0-5), Peter Mullan, Niall McDonnell (2-2);

Carnaross 1-7 Ballinabrackey 1-13

A League (Division 3)

Played in Ballinabrackey – 21/8/2011

The long trip to Ballinabrackey proved to be a fruitless one for Carnaross as their challenge faded out in the second-half.

The game started well for Carnaross and John L McGee got them off the mark in the opening minute. It took ten minutes before the next score came along which was an equaliser for the home side. Declan Reilly put Carnaross back in front with a converted free but Ballinabrackey responded with a point in the next attack. After fifteen minutes Niall McDonnell linked up well with John L McGee who found the net to give Carnaross a three point lead. It was Ballinabrackey who then went on to enjoy a spell of dominance and four points without reply put them one in front. A well taken point from Niall McDonnell resulted in the sides being level at the break, 1-3 to 0-6.

Carnaross got the first score after the restart when centre-back Dermot McGee split the posts following a good run through the middle. Ballinabrackey hit back with two points before a free from John L McGee had the teams level once again. Ballinabrackey then enjoyed a purple patch and added a quickfire 1-2 within a two minute period which proved to be crucial on the outcome of the game. Carnaross went on to add a point each from Declan Reilly and John L McGee, but three points for the home side ensured they held on for a six point victory.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Ian Donoghue, Patrick Nugent, Thomas Nugent; Eamonn Comaskey, Dermot McGee (0-1), John Plunkett; Charles Brogan, Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith, Michael Brogan, Shane Casserly; Declan Reilly (0-2), John L McGee (1-3), Niall McDonnell (0-1); Subs: Patrick Smith for John Plunkett; Shane McNiffe for Thomas Nugent;

Carnaross 1-11 Meath Hill 1-9

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 30/8/2011

Carnaross came from behind to pick up two very important points against Meath Hill to steer clear of the danger zone after a week where most of the teams near the bottom of the table managed to pick up points. Despite a bright start from Carnaross, they certainly didn’t have it easy against Meath Hill who were managed by Ollie Murphy.

Two points in the opening two minutes from Dermot McGee and Charles Brogan got the home side off the mark before Meath Hill opened their account moments later. Brothers John L and Dermot McGee extended their lead further with two more points from play. Meath Hill responded with a free which was cancelled out by Ciaran McDonnell’s effort. Going into the last ten minutes of the first half it was Meath Hill who dominated proceedings and went on to take the lead with five unanswered points. Shane Casserly got the final score of the half to leave Carnaross trailing 0-7 to 0-6 at the break.

In the first minute after the restart Meath Hill found themselves four points clear when the Carnaross defence failed to deal with a long ball into the area which resulting in John Plunkett putting the ball past Eamonn Comaskey in goals. John L McGee scored a point a minute later but Meath Hill restored their lead with a point from play. Carnaross were now dominating, but could not make it count on the scoreboard hitting five wides in a row. Their fortunes finally changed however when Dermot McGee and Niall McDonnell hit two fine points from play two leave two in it. With eight minutes remaining Niall McDonnell pounced on a loose ball to finish to the net from close range putting Carnaross back in front. Two more points from Cillian Comaskey and John L McGee gave Carnaross some breathing space before Meath Hill finished the scoring with a point in the final minute.

Carnaross: Eamonn Comaskey; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, Patrick Nugent; Peter Farrelly, Dermot McGee (0-3), John Plunkett; Charles Brogan (0-1), Brian Comaskey; Damian Smith, Cillian Comaskey (0-1), Ciaran McDonnell (0-1); Shane Casserly (0-1), John L McGee (0-3), Niall McDonnell (1-1); Subs: Peter Mullan for Cillian Comaskey; Cillian Comaskey for Shane Casserly;

Carnaross 3-1 Moynalvey 1-13

A League (Division 3)

Played in Carnaross – 4/9/2011

Carnaross had no answer to Moynalvey who were in control of this game throughout.

Moynalvey dominated the opening period and led 0-9 to 0-1 at the break with John L McGee’s converted free the only score of the half for Carnaross.

Carnaross did improve after the restart but Moynalvey had enough of a cushion to ever be troubled after they hit the game’s opening goal. Brian Comaskey fisted to the net for Carnaross and John L McGee added another goal soon afterwards from the penalty spot. Another well taken goal in the closing stages from Declan Reilly reduced the margin further but the visitors still had six points to spare at the final whistle.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Ian Donoghue, Dermot McGee, Cian Gillic; Eamonn Comaskey, Michael Brogan, Ciaran McDonnell; Brian Comaskey (1-0), Charles Brogan; Damian Smith, John L McGee (1-1), Shane Casserly; Declan Reilly (1-0), Peter Mullan, Niall McDonnell; Subs: John Plunkett for Eamonn Comaskey; Sean Carroll for Peter Mullan;