Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2011 B League Division 4

Carnaross 1-9 St. Michaels 0-9

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carlanstown – 13/3/2011

A strong second-half performance from Carnaross turned around a five point half-time deficit to beat neighbours St. Michaels in their opening B League game.

Despite playing against a strong breeze in the opening period Carnaross got off to a good start. St Michaels opened the scoring but a free from Rory O’Connor and two points from play from Shane Cassery put Carnaross two in front after five minutes. The home side drew level soon afterwards before going on to dominate the first-half scoring five unanswered points to lead 0-8 to 0-3 at the break.

Carnaross were much improved after the re-start and began to dominate around the middle. Rory O’Connor converted a free before substitute Stephen Flattery scored two points from play. Cian Gillic added another fine point which left only one between the teams. St Michaels then scored a free but this proved to be their only score of the second-half. Carnaross then hit the front going into the closing stages when Stephen Flattery made no mistake finishing low to the net. Two more points from Flattery and Shane Casserly sealed the win for Carnaross.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, Matthew O’Reilly; Tom Shortt, John Plunkett, Enda Gillic; Peter Nugent, Peter Farrelly; Stephen Dawson, Cian Gillic (0-1), Michael Brogan; Shane Casserly (0-3), Cillian Comaskey, Rory O’Connor (0-2); Subs: Ciaran McDonnell for Tom Shortt; Stephen Flattery (1-3) for Stephen Dawson; Peter Mullan for Michael Brogan;

St. Michaels: Alan Dolan; Paddy Clarke, Michael Rogers, Richard Lynch; Sam Briody, Paul McCormack, Robert Briody; Ronan Farrell, John Farrell; John Stafford (0-2), Ben Farrell (0-3), Brian Allen; David Carpenter (0-1), Daithi Reilly (0-1), Peter O'Connell (0-2); Subs: Patrick Flood for Brian Allen;

Carnaross 1-6 Rathkenny 0-11

B League (Division 4)

Played in Rathkenny – 2/4/2011

Carnaross suffered their first B League defeat away to Rathkenny.

The first-half was a low scoring affair with both sides only managing six scores between them. It was Rathkenny who took an early two point lead but Carnaross were back on level terms after ten minutes with two pointed frees from Rory O’Connor. There was only two more points before half-time with the home side taking a 0-4 to 0-2 lead.

The second-half was much more entertaining with both sides battling hard. Rathkenny increased their lead to four points early on before Carnaross responded with two points from Rory O’Connor. Ciaran McDonnell landed a ’45 but Rathkenny replied with a point of their own to keep their lead. Another point from O’Connor kept the pressure on but Rathkenny added two more points to put them four in front going into the closing stages. Carnaross refused to give up the fight and were awarded a penalty for a foot block which was finished to the bottom corner by O’Connor to leave only a point in it. Rathkenny hit back with another point which secured a two point victory.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Colin Yore, Ciaran McDonnell (0-1), Enda Gillic; Peter Nugent, Peter Mullan; Stephen Dawson, Stephen Flattery, Shane Casserly; Pearse Caulfield, Rory O’Connor (1-5), Cian Gillic; Subs: Cillian Comaskey for Pearse Caulfield; Alan O’Reilly for Stephen Dawson; Michael Brogan for Enda Gillic;

Carnaross 1-8 St. Marys 0-6

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carnaross – 9/5/2011

A strong finish which produced a late goal from Rory O’Connor got Carnaross back to winning ways following a tough encounter with St Marys.

The opening half was tight throughout. Carnaross hit the front early on with a free from Rory O’Connor and a point from play from midfielder Peter Nugent. St Marys hit back with three points in a row to take the lead before O’Connor levelled the game with another free. A point each from Ciaran McDonnell and Colin Yore put the home side two in front, but St Marys got the final score of the half leaving Carnaross leading 0-5 to 0-4 at half time.

A free after the restart for St Marys left the sides level once again. Both sides exchanged a point each with O’Connor hitting the target for Carnaross. The game then went some time without a score but it was the home side who finally registered what proved to be a vital score with Rory O’Connor finishing to the net when one on one with the keeper. Despite pressure from St Marys in the closing stages Carnaross defended well and managed to win two late frees which were converted by O’Connor.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Paul Donoghue, Tom Shortt, Sean Carroll; Ian Donoghue, Enda Gillic, Colin Yore; Ciaran McDonnell (0-1), Peter Nugent (0-1); Ruairi McNiffe, Cian Gillic, Stephen McGrath; Alan O’Reilly, Rory O’Connor (1-5), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Stephen Dawson for Tadgh Skelly; Patrick Smith for Stephen McGrath; Damian McArdle for Alan O’Reilly;

Carnaross 0-13 Clann na nGael 2-7

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carnaross – 30/5/2011

Carnaross threw away a six point lead and then had to come from behind with fourteen men to salvage a draw in injury time.

Carnaross took an early lead and went on to lead three points to one with two points from Ciaran McDonnell and one from Shane Casserly. Clann na nGael had plenty of chances but were guilty of wayward shooting while Carnaross keeper Shane McNiffe also kept them out with a good save. Shane Casserly and Patrick Smith added two more points for the home side before Clann na nGael replied with a free, but two more points before the break from Colin Yore and Rory O’Connor gave Carnaross a 0-7 to 0-2 lead.

After the restart a point from Alan O’Reilly put Carnaross six points clear. However, Clann na nGael replied strongly and went on to score 1-3 without reply leaving the sides level. Carnaross edged in front again with a point from Shane Casserly. Then the game turned in Clann na nGael’s favour when they scored their second goal from the penalty spot. Things got worse for Carnaross when Colin Yore was dismissed after picking up a second yellow. Carnaross refused to let the extra man make a difference and fought back to level the game with points from Stephen Flattery and Shane Casserly. Clann na nGael then scored two quick points in the closing stages which looked to be enough to take full points but Carnaross battled back with a point from Rory O’Connor before Ciaran McDonnell scored the equaliser with the last kick of the game.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Ian Donoghue, Tom Shortt, Matthew O’Reilly; Paul Donoghue, Enda Gillic, Cian Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (0-3), Richard Mulvey; Shane Casserly (0-4), Patrick Smith (0-1), Colin Yore (0-1); Alan O’Reilly (0-1), Rory O’Connor (0-2), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Stephen McGrath for Tadgh Skelly; Stephen Flattery (0-1) for Cian Gillic; Sean Carroll for Matthew O’Reilly; Emmet Mullan for Stephen McGrath; Damian McArdle for Alan O’Reilly;

Carnaross 1-9 Kilmainhamwood 0-10

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carnaross – 4/7/2011

Carnaross performed a Houdini act when Pearse Caulfield found the net late on just when it looked like Kilmainhamwood would go home with full points.

The opening half was a tight affair throughout with Kilmainhamwood getting the better of the early exchanges. Ciaran McDonnell converted a free for Carnaross to open the scoring but the visitors hit three points in a row. Carnaross levelled the game with Paul Donoghue and Rory O’Connor hitting the target while goalkeeper John Ward kept Kilmainhamwood out at the other end with a fantastic save when a goal looked certain. Kilmainhamwood once again restored their lead with another two points before Ciaran McDonnell finished the first half scoring with a free, leaving Kilmainhamwood in front 0-5 to 0-4.

John Carpenter linked up well with Shane Casserly to leave the sides level again. However, Kilmainhamwood refused to let Carnaross take the lead and went on to add another three points without reply. Carnaross fought back with points from Stephen McGrath and Rory O’Connor (2) to leave the sides level yet again. With time running out Kilmainhamwood once again regained the lead before doubling their lead and looking like certain winners as the game went into injury time. Carnaross needed a goal and managed to get one after Stephen Flattery landed a free into the area which was fisted to the net by Pearse Caulfield to put Carnaross one point in front. From the resulting kickout Stephen Flattery landed another point for Carnaross before the final whistle sounded.

Carnaross: John Ward; Ian Donoghue, Tom Shortt, Matthew O’Reilly; Paul Donoghue (0-1), Enda Gillic, Cian Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (0-2), Rory O’Connor (0-3); Shane Casserly, Stephen Flattery (0-1), Patrick Smith; John Carpenter (0-1), Tadgh Skelly, Sean Carroll; Subs: Pearse Caulfield (1-0) for Sean Carroll; Stephen McGrath (0-1); Alan O’Reilly for Patrick Smith; Tomás Plunkett for Enda Gillic;

Carnaross 2-12 Dunsany 3-11

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carnaross – 11/7/2011

Carnaross undid all their good work by letting visitors Dunsany in for two goals in the closing stages of a thrilling game.

On a perfect evening for football both sides gave everything they had to claim full points and stay in the hunt for promotion. Depsite Dunsany taking an early lead Carnaross settled well and went on to take a four point lead with Ciaran McDonnell (2), Rory O’Connor (2) and Patrick Smith hitting the target. Two points from Dunsany reduced the margin but Carnaross managed to restore their four point lead with a point each from Patrick Smith and Rory O’Connor. Two late points from Dunsany left just two between the sides at the break with Carnaross leading 0-7 to 0-5.

Within a few minutes of the restart Dunsany had wiped out the Carnaross lead. Two early points were followed by the game’s opening goal before another point put them four points in front. Carnaross responded quickly and had a goal of their own when Stephen Flattery finished a good move with a superb finish past the keeper. Carnaross then moved midfielder Ciaran McDonnell onto the edge of the square and he had an immediate impact causing the Dunsany defence a lot of trouble. A point for Dunsany edged them two in front but Carnaross continued to fight their way back into the game and soon took the lead with a free from McDonnell and two points from play for Shane Casserly. Carnaross thought they had their second goal when the Dunsany keeper appeared to fumble the ball over his goal line but the referee chose to throw up the ball rather than award the goal. The goal did come however when Ciaran McDonnell finished to the net at the second attempt after his first effort came back off the post. Two more frees from McDonnell gave Carnaross a well deserved six point lead but Dunsany had not finished yet. They scored a point before getting in for two quickfire goal as time ran out. Another point sealed the two point victory before the final whistle brought an end to this highly entertaining contest.

Carnaross: Stephen McGrath; Ian Donoghue, Tom Shortt, Matthew O’Reilly; Paul Donoghue, Enda Gillic, Cian Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (1-5), Stein Carpenter; Shane Casserly (0-2), Stephen Flattery (1-0), Patrick Smith (0-2); John Carpenter, Rory O’Connor (0-3), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Pearse Caulfield for Tadgh Skelly;

Carnaross 1-10 St. Vincents 1-13

B League (Division 4)

Played in Carnaross – 8/8/2011

A strong finish from St. Vincents resulted in a three point victory over their hosts Carnaross.

It was St. Vincents who opened the scoring early on but Carnaross hit back to take the lead with points from Shane Casserly and Ciaran McDonnell. St. Vincents then went on to open up a three point lead with four points without reply. Carnaross found themselves back in the game when Shane Casserly rounded the St. Vincents keeper to finish into an empty net. However, one minute later St. Vincents restored their lead with a well taken goal into the top corner. Another converted free from St. Vincents increased their lead further but Carnaross finished the half with two late points from Ciaran McDonnell and Rory O’Connor to trail by two points at the break, 1-6 to 1-4.

St. Vincents started off the second-half scoring with a point from play, but Carnaross began to dominate for a spell and clawed back the lead to leave the teams level with points from Rory O’Connor, Colin Yore and Patrick Smith. St. Vincents hit the front once again but Carnaross continued their good spell to take a one point lead with Ciaran McDonnell converting two frees. However, going into the closing stages it was the visitors who finished stronger and added four more points. Carnaross could only add one more, a fine point from Rory O’Connor, as St. Vincents held on for their three point victory.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Paul Donoghue, Tom Shortt, Matthew O’Reilly; Colin Yore (0-1), Ian Donoghue, Cian Gillic; Ciaran McDonnell (0-4), Rory O’Connor (0-3); Shane Casserly (1-1), Patrick Smith (0-1); Pearse Caulfield, Tadgh Skelly, Alan O’Reilly; Subs: Sean Carroll for Alan O’Reilly; Damian McArdle for Colin Yore; Tomás Plunkett for Enda Gillic;



© Carnaross GFC, Carnaross, Kells, Co. Meath