Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2012 Intermediate

Carnaross 0-4 Ballivor 1-9

Intermediate Championship

Played in Simonstown – 20/4/2012

Carnaross endured a torrid day at the office in their opening championship game when they came out second-best against Ballivor.

Right from the throw-in Carnaross found themselves on the back-foot and were three points behind after four minutes. After nine minutes it got worse for Carnaross when Ballivor found the net to double their lead. This gave the Ballivor men even more confidence and they went on to stretch their lead further adding four more points before half-time. Carnaross keeper Cillian Comaskey pulled off a fine save for his side who amazingly didn’t even manage to register a wide in the opening period and went in trailing 1-7 to 0-0 at the break.

After the resumption Carnaross found the target through John L McGee after twenty seconds. Another point from McGee and a ’45 from Niall McDonnell gave Carnaross the start they needed five minutes into the second-half. However, this was as good as it got for Carnaross as Ballivor hit their first point of the second-half with thirteen minutes remaining and denied Carnaross at the other end when any chance came along. Niall McDonnell converted a free for Carnaross but Ballivor got the final score of the game in the closing stages to emerge deserving eight point winners.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Thomas Nugent, Patrick Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Stein Carpenter, Ian Donoghue; Brian Comaskey, Michael Brogan; Dermot McGee, Cathal Allen, Damian Smith; John L McGee (0-2), Charles Brogan, Niall McDonnell (0-2); Subs: John Ward for Cathal Allen; John Carpenter for Michael Brogan; Richard Mulvey for Brian Comaskey; Paul Donoghue for Damian Smith;

Carnaross 0-9 Castletown 1-10

Intermediate Championship

Played in Moynalty – 27/4/2012

In a crucial game for both sides, Carnaross suffered their second championship defeat against Castletown.

Before the action started a minute’s silence was observed in memory of former Carnaross player Thomas Ward who was laid to rest the previous day.

A free from John L McGee in the first minute gave Carnaross an early lead but Castletown hit back immediately with a free of their own. After ten minutes Castletown sailed through the Carnaross defence to find the net from close range. Carnaross hit back strongly and went on to add five points in a row from John L McGee (3), Dermot McGee and Damian Smith to take a two point lead with five minutes remaining. However, Castletown turned things around again hitting three points before Niall McDonnell scored the last point of the half to leave the sides level at the break, 0-7 to 1-4.

The first ten minutes of the second-half only produced a point each for both sides with John L McGee hitting the target for Carnaross. Castletown then took the lead and could have had their second goal after that when an effort flew wide of the post. They went on to add four more points which opened up a five point lead while Carnaross were guilty of missing plenty of chances which came their way. John L McGee hit the final score of the game for Carnaross who were left to regret hitting twelve wides compared to Castletown’s four.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Thomas Nugent, Patrick Nugent, John Plunkett; Eamonn Comaskey, Charles Brogan, Ian Donoghue; Brian Comaskey, Peter Mullan; John Ward, Cathal Allen, Damian Smith (0-1); John L McGee (0-6), Dermot McGee (0-1), Niall McDonnell (0-1); Subs: Cian Gillic for Eamonn Comaskey; Shane Casserly for Ian Donoghue; Michael Brogan for Cathal Allen; John Carpenter for Peter Mullan;

Carnaross 0-4 Ballinabrackey 2-8

Intermediate Championship

Played in Kildalkey – 12/8/2012

Carnaross made it three championship defeats from as many games against Ballinabrackey.

Two points in the opening minute gave Ballinabrackey an early lead which they never lost for the rest of the game. They added another point before Carnaross opened their account with a John L McGee free in the ninth minute. This proved to be the only first-half score for Carnaross as Ballinabrackey went on to take a 1-6 to 0-1 lead at half-time.

Both sides exchanged a point each after the restart with John L McGee pointing for Carnaross. Ballinabrackey hit their second goal of the game with fifteen minutes remaining to open up an eleven point lead. John L McGee converted two late frees for Carnaross but Ballinabrackey added another point to their winning tally.

Carnaross: Cillian Comaskey; Peter Carpenter, Eamonn Comaskey, Ian Donoghue; Shane Casserly, Patrick Nugent, Cian Gillic; Thomas Nugent, Charles Brogan; John Carpenter, Paul Donoghue, Rory O’Connor; Niall McDonnell, John L McGee (0-4), Liam Brogan; Subs: John Plunkett for Paul Donoghue; Damian Smith for Rory O’Connor;

Carnaross 2-10 St. Ultans 0-7

Intermediate Championship

Played in Kilmainham – 9/9/2012

Carnaross concluded their championship campaign with a nine point victory over St. Ultans.

The first score of the match was a goal after five minutes when Ollie Murphy put Liam Brogan through on goal and he made no mistake from close range. St Ultans then had the chance to level matters when they were awarded a penalty, but Carnaross keeper Shane McNiffe saved well to keep out the spot kick. Centre-back Charles Brogan scored a fine point from play for Carnaross before St Ultans finally got off the mark with a pointed free after eighteen minutes. Carnaross went on to dominate the remainder of the half with Tomás Plunkett getting the ball rolling with his sides second goal. Carnaross captain Rory O’Connor added four points from frees and St Ultans replied with two frees of their own to leave Carnaross leading 2-5 to 0-3 at half-time.

St. Ultans started brightly in the second-half and scored first with a point from play. They then had the chance to get back to within four points with a goal chance but the low shot just scraped the wrong side of the post and wide. This miss proved costly as Carnaross went down the other end and scored two points inside a minute through Ollie Murphy and Liam Brogan to leave nine points in it. Both sides then exchanged two points each with Brian Comaskey and Shane Casserly hitting the target for Carnaross. St Ultans scored two frees in the final ten minutes before Carnaross were awarded a penalty with three minutes remaining, which resulted in Ollie Murphy’s spotkick scraping over the crossbar to bring an end to the scoring.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Peter Carpenter, Thomas Nugent, John Plunkett; Cian Gillic, Charles Brogan (0-1), Ian Donoghue; Brian Comaskey (0-1), Rory O’Connor (0-4); Shane Casserly (0-1), Stephen Dawson, John Carpenter; Liam Brogan (0-1), Ollie Murphy (0-2), Tomás Plunkett (1-0); Subs: Barry O’Connor for Charles Brogan;



© Carnaross GFC, Carnaross, Kells, Co. Meath