Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2012 Junior D

Carnaross 0-8 Drumconrath 0-7

Junior D Championship

Played in Carlanstown – 22/4/2012

A point from substitute Liam Brogan with three minutes remaining got Carnaross over the line despite being a man down for most of the game.

Drumconrath opened the scoring in the first minute but it was cancelled out by a fantastic sideline effort from Rory O’Connor inside the fourteen yard line. Drumconrath edged in front once more but a point each from Peter Mullan and Ollie Murphy put Carnaross in front for the first time. Carnaross then received a setback after twenty minutes when Matthew O’Reilly was harshly shown a red card. However, they responded well to this and went on to add four points in a row from Rory O’Connor (3) and Ollie Murphy. Drumconrath got the final score of the half to leave Carnaross leading 0-7 to 0-3 at half-time.

After the restart Drumconrath’s one man advantage put a lot of pressure on Carnaross and three points reduced the margin to just one after ten minutes. They levelled matters after fifteen minutes but crucially Carnaross never let them take the lead and held strong at the back despite all the pressure. Their hard work was rewarded in the closing stages when Liam Brogan popped up with the late winner.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Tomás Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Peter Carpenter; Colin Yore, Enda Gillic, Cian Gillic; Tom Shortt, Peter Mullan (0-1); Stephen McGrath, Stephen Dawson, Rory O’Connor (0-4); Ruairi McNiffe, Ollie Murphy (0-2), Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Liam Brogan (0-1) for Tadgh Skelly; Barry O’Connor for Peter Mullan; Tadgh Skelly for Ruairi McNiffe; Peter Mullan for Stephen McGrath;

Carnaross 1-11 St. Vincents 0-9

Junior D Championship

Played in Rathkenny – 12/5/2012

Carnaross recorded their second win in the Junior D Championship beating St. Vincents by five points.

Carnaross got the perfect start when Rory O’Connor pointed in the first attack. A minute later Carnaross were awarded a penalty and O’Connor made no mistake in finding the net. Two more points from Ollie Murphy and Stephen McGrath gave Carnaross a six point lead after twelve minutes. However, St Vincents got back into the game and had the better of the remainder of the first-half. They went on to add seven points but two points from Paddy Dillon and Ollie Murphy ensured Carnaross were in front at the break, 1-5 to 0-7.

Carnaross stretched their lead to two points when Rory O’Connor pointed from play. St. Vincents then had the chance to take the lead when they were awarded a penalty, but Shane McNiffe kept it out with a crucial save. This spurred on Carnaross and they went on to open up a five point lead with points from Barry O’Connor (2) and Rory O’Connor. Two points from St Vincents in the last ten minutes reduced the margin but Carnaross responded with Rory O’Connor and Stephen McGrath hitting the target.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Tomás Plunkett, Tom Shortt, Peter Carpenter; Colin Yore, Peter Farrelly, Liam Brogan; Stephen Dawson, Rory O’Connor (1-4); Stephen McGrath (0-2), Ollie Murphy (0-2), Paddy Dillon (0-1); Enda Gillic, Sean Carroll, Tadgh Skelly; Subs: Barry O’Connor (0-2) for Colin Yore; Ruairi McNiffe for Tadgh Skelly; Pearse Caulfield for Sean Carroll; Niall Smith for Paddy Dillon;

Carnaross 2-17 Moynalty 1-6

Junior D Championship

Played in Nobber – 5/7/2012

Carnaross kept their winning run going with a comfortable victory over neighbours Moynalty with all but four of their scores coming from play.

Tadgh Skelly was proving to be a handful for the Moynalty defence and was denied an early goal chance with a save from the keeper in the opening minute. However, he made no mistake in the fifth minute firing into an empty net. Skelly was again on target a minute later with a fine point from play. Moynalty responded with a goal but points from Liam Brogan (2) and Rory O’Connor restored the four point lead for Carnaross. Carnaross then had the chance of a second goal after being awarded a penalty, but a good save from the Moynalty keeper kept out Rory O’Connor’s effort. Carnaross kept the pressure on and added three points from Rory O’Connor before the break. Moynalty replied with two points to leave them trailing 1-7 to 1-2 at half-time.

Carnaross once again started strongly after the restart with four points from Liam Brogan (2), Stephen Dawson and Pierce Fleming in the opening five minutes. Two points from Moynalty reduced the margin but that was as good as it got for them as Carnaross took control for the remainder of the game. Stephen Dawson got the ball rolling when he finished off a good run by firing to the net. Further points from Rory O’Connor (3), Liam Brogan and Pierce Fleming put Carnaross out of sight while Moynalty responded with two frees.

Carnaross: Shane McNiffe; Tomás Plunkett, Matthew O’Reilly, Tom Shortt; Peter Carpenter; Ollie Murphy, Stephen Flattery; Stephen Dawson (1-1), Rory O’Connor (0-7); Stephen McGrath, Conor Kenny, Liam Brogan (0-6); Pierce Fleming (0-2), Tadgh Skelly (1-1), Paddy Dillon; Subs: Peter Nugent for Conor Kenny; Gavin Murphy for Ollie Murphy;

Carnaross 0-10 Moynalvey 0-11

Junior D Championship

Played in Martry – 13/7/2012

Carnaross and Moynalvey played out an exciting encounter which went right down to the wire with Moynalvey hitting the winning score deep into injury time.

The sides were level twice in the opening ten minutes with Pierce Fleming and Rory O’Connor hitting the target for Carnaross. Moynalvey then edged two points in front but it was Carnaross who went on to finish the half strongest. Points from Stephen McGrath (2), Enda Gillic, Tom Shortt and Rory O’Connor left them leading 0-7 to 0-5 at half-time.

The second-half turned out to be much tighter. Both sides exchanged two points early on with Stephen Dawson and Stephen McGrath pointing for Carnaross. There was then a ten minute period without any score but three points from Moynalvey left them one point in front with seven minutes remaining. Moynalvey had several chances to stretch their lead late on but failed to cash in and it looked like they were made to pay when a big kick from Stephen Flattery went over the bar to leave the sides level two minutes into injury time. However the ref allowed the action to continue from the kick out and Carnaross conceded a free. The effort hit the upright and it was a Moynalvey forward who reacted quickest to fist the ball over the bar for the winning score.

Carnaross: Gavin Murphy; Colin Yore, Matthew O’Reilly, Tom Shortt (0-1); Peter Carpenter; Ollie Murphy, Stephen Flattery (0-1); Stephen Dawson (0-1), Rory O’Connor (0-2); Stephen McGrath (0-3), Liam Brogan, Pierce Fleming (0-1); Tomás Plunkett, Tadgh Skelly, Enda Gillic (0-1); Subs: Peter Nugent for Tadgh Skelly; Peter Farrelly for Tomás Plunkett;

Carnaross 1-7 Bective 1-6

Junior D Championship

Played in Castletown – 23/7/2012

Carnaross qualified for the quarter-finals with a one point victory over Bective despite being six points down after fifteen minutes.

This game was played in terrible conditions with constant rain throughout. It was Bective who started best with three points from play giving them the early advantage after ten minutes. Ollie Murphy opened the scoring for Carnaross with a point from play after he was moved from centre-back to full-forward. However, Bective continued their good start and scored the opening goal before adding a point to open up a six point lead. Carnaross hit back with Tomás Plunkett pointing from a tight angle which was followed up with a free from Rory O’Connor. Another point from Ollie Murphy left a goal between the sides. Murphy then linked up well with Liam Brogan who finished a good move by firing low to the net to leave the sides level 1-4 each at half-time.

The second-half was tight right from the start as both sides gave everything. It took eight minutes for the first point which put Bective back in front. Stephen Dawson equalised for Carnaross two minutes later with a good effort from play. It took another ten minutes before the next score arrived when Rory O’Connor converted a free to put Carnaross in front for the first time. O’Connor then added another free to double the advantage with ten minutes remaining. Carnaross were then awarded a penalty when Liam Brogan was taken down, but Ollie Murphy’s effort was kept out by the Bective keeper to keep his side in contention. Bective hit back with a free to leave a point between the sides with three minutes remaining but Carnaross held on to secure a narrow victory.

Carnaross: Gavin Murphy; Colin Yore, Matthew O’Reilly, Tom Shortt; Peter Carpenter; Ollie Murphy (0-2), Stephen Flattery; Stephen Dawson (0-1), Rory O’Connor (0-3); Stephen McGrath, Liam Brogan (1-0), Pierce Fleming; Tomás Plunkett (0-1), Enda Gillic; Subs: Sean Carroll for Pierce Fleming;

Carnaross 1-4 Meath Hill 3-11

Junior D Championship Quarter-Final

Played in Castletown – 9/8/2012

Carnaross made their exit at the quarter-final stages when they were second best to a Meath Hill outfit trained by Ollie Murphy, who lined out for his home club and scored three points in the process.

Meath Hill hit the ground running and hit a point from play right after the throw in. They added a goal a minute later and by the third minute had opened up their lead to five points with a free. Murphy opened the account for Carnaross after five minutes with a point from play after linking up well with Tomás Plunkett. Meath Hill found the net for a second time after just ten minutes but Carnaross hit back with two points from Enda Gillic and Ollie Murphy. However, that was as close as it got as Meath Hill hit 1-1 before the break to leave them leading 3-3 to 0-3.

The opening ten minutes of the second-half were dominated by Meath Hill who registered five points without reply to put the result beyond doubt. Things got worse for Carnaross when Peter Nugent was dismissed for a second yellow. Ollie Murphy pointed for Carnaross but Meath Hill kept on top with three more points. Carnaross were awarded a penalty with two minutes remaining which was well finished by Gavin Murphy, but it was merely consolation at that stage.

Carnaross: Gavin Murphy (1-0); Colin Yore, Matthew O’Reilly, Tom Shortt; Conor Kenny; Peter Nugent, Liam Brogan; Stephen Dawson, Rory O’Connor; Stephen McGrath, Enda Gillic (0-1), Pierce Fleming; Tomás Plunkett, Ollie Murphy (0-3), Shane McNiffe; Subs: Conor Woods for Shane McNiffe; Patrick Smith for Pierce Fleming; Ruairi McNiffe for Stephen McGrath; Shane McNiffe for Conor Kenny; Barry O’Connor for Tomás Plunkett;