Carnaross GAA Club, Co. Meath - A82 DW01

2019 B League Division 4

Pos Team Pl W D L SF SA SD Pts
1. Dunderry 9 8 0 1 146 78 +68 16
2. Carnaross 9 8 0 1 143 90 +53 16
3. St. Ultan's 9 7 0 2 192 118 +74 14
4. Syddan 9 5 0 4 135 120 +15 10
5. Dunsany 9 4 0 5 88 92 -4 8
6. Seneschalstown 9 4 0 5 87 109 -22 8
7. St Pauls 9 3 0 6 70 114 -44 6
8. Simonstown 9 3 0 6 100 178 -78 6
9. Ballinabrackey 9 2 0 7 53 50 +3 4
10. Summerhill 9 1 0 8 106 171 -65 2

BFL Final: Carnaross comeback captures second B League title in a row

Carnaross ended their season on a high as they secured back-to-back B League titles with a three point win over Dunderry.

Carnaross 1-11 Dunderry 1-8

B League Final (Division 4)
Played in Athboy – 7/9/2019

This was an excellent team performance particularly in the second half as the men in maroon and gold overturned a five point half-time deficit and held Dunderry scoreless to claim the silverware.

There were no signs of nerves with either side in the opening exchanges as both teams eased into the game creating several chances. John L McGee opened the scoring with a pointed free after Shane Yore was fouled while bearing down on goal. Further points from Dermot McGee and Killian Porter left Carnaross leading by a point with 10 minutes on the clock but Dunderry gained the upper hand for the remainder of the half.

Dunderry fashioned a goal chance after forcing a turnover in the opposition defence but were denied by a stunning stop from Carnaross keeper Conor Kenny who got down low to his left. Dunderry maintained the pressure, however, and rattled off 4 points in a row to take the lead. A goal from Porter gave Carnaross some respite with a tidy left-footed finish after a flowing team move which started with a turnover from full back Tomás Plunkett. Dunderry responded with a goal of their own after a looping free dropped short and broke in their favour leaving them with an easy finish from close range and a five point half-time lead.

Carnaross faced an uphill task to reverse the momentum of the game and contain a pacy Dunderry side. Unlike the first half, chances were few and far between after the break. Half time changes paid dividends for Carnaross as they tightened up significantly at the back with John Plunkett putting in some heavy hits while Brian Comaskey, on as a blood sub for Porter, won some crucial possessions in defence.

Carnaross gradually overturned the deficit with a fine free from Cormac Yore and further points from the McGee brothers. They regained the lead with 10 minutes left on the clock but Dunderry pressed on and Kenny was forced to produce more heroics, punching a long ball clear before saving from point blank range yet again. The experienced trio of Comaskey and the Nugent brothers, Paddy and Thomas, provided a steadying influence in those final minutes before Dermot McGee sealed the deal with a late point to give Carnaross the win.

After the game Carnaross captain Matthew O'Reilly was presented with the Eddie Callan cup.

Carnaross: Conor Kenny, Jack Roche, Tomás Plunkett, Odhran Farrelly, Cian Gillic, Thomas Nugent, Dillon Fox, Luke Gillic, Dermot McGee (0-4), Shane Casserly (0-1), Killian Porter (1-1), Shane Yore, Cormac Yore (0-2, 2f), John L McGee (0-2, 2f), Dean Connell. Subs: John Plunkett for Roche, Stephen Dawson for Connell, Brian Comaskey (0-1) for Porter, Paddy Nugent for Luke Gillic

Management: Ollie Murphy, Brian Comaskey, Damian McArdle, Tadgh Skelly